The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Joy Luck Club (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Amy Tan

Member:shinyone
Title:The Joy Luck Club
Authors:Amy Tan
Info:Ivy Books (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (1989)

Recently added byEileen9, AnkitaDas, 500books, OCChurch, LiterateSloth, Fergle, brizzzy, HeatherB86, private library
    Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (Jennie_103)
    Jennie_103: Another story of generations of chinese women.
    The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This novel explores similar themes of the generation gap in immigrant Chinese families---the "old ways" in conflict with the new world.
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    Sweet Mandarin: The Courageous True Story of Three Generations of Chinese Women and Their Journey from East to West by Helen Tse (elbakerone)
    Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat (Othemts)
    Othemts: In a superficial way this book reminds me of the stories of Amy Tan in that they show the strains of relationships between mothers and daughters, immigrants and American-born.

English (146)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All (156)
Four stars to the story and writing. Two stars for the less than stellar audio narration. ( )
  Brightraven | Apr 26, 2018 |
This story is about four Chinese women who emigrate to the United States for various reasons during the Second World War and make friends in San Francisco. Her four daughters experience the dichotomy between the American way of life and Chinese ways of thinking that they unconsciously adopted from their mothers. This also leads to conflicts between them, which can be solved by clarifying conversations.
I was fascinated by how the American and Chinese minds are so completely different and yet the daughters and mothers find an approach to each other that works harmoniously and naturally.
Each of the eight women's fates illustrates another aspect. Unfortunately, the individual stories are told one after another and only loosely linked by the friendship of the mothers and the farewell party for June.
  Ameise1 | Mar 30, 2018 |
It was just okay, I thought. I had a really hard time remembering who was who, and had to keep flipping back to previous chapters to be reminded. I found the strained relationships these women had with their mothers and their failing marriages to be quite depressing. I did like the ending however; I'm glad it ended on a positive note. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I read this book for my book club and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by it. The characters are unique and a reader will be able to relate to at least one of the characters.

I feel like just about anyone will find something in this book. With so many generations it will appeal to traditionalists, baby boomers, millennials and everyone inbetween. I really appreciated how the character's stories opened up and became more. Everything flowed very well.

Ultimately, I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a coming of age story with a unique cultural blend to it. ( )
  KristyJewel | Mar 21, 2018 |
It's a shame I waited almost 30 years to read this wonderful moving magical book. There is nothing I can add to encourage people to pick up this classic that has not already been written.

Be forewarned you will need a tissue or two or three to make it through. I almost sobbed at the end.

A wonderful account of mother and daughter relationships and a reminder that you don't always know what you have until it's gone. ( )
  Alphawoman | Mar 1, 2018 |
In Tan's hands, these linked stories - diverse as they are - fit almost magically into a powerfully coherent novel, whose winning combination of ingredients - immigrant experience, mother-daughter ties, Pacific Rim culture - make it a book with the ``good luck'' to be in the right place at the right time.

In the hands of a less talented writer such thematic material might easily have become overly didactic, and the characters might have seemed like cutouts from a Chinese-American knockoff of ''Roots.'' But in the hands of Amy Tan, who has a wonderful eye for what is telling, a fine ear for dialogue, a deep empathy for her subject matter and a guilelessly straightforward way of writing, they sing with a rare fidelity and beauty. She has written a jewel of a book.

Tan, Amyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holt, Heleen tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and the memory of her mother. You asked me once what I would remember. This, and much more.
The old woman remembered a swan she had bought many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum.
Please don't combine with commentaries or educational adaptations

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143038095, Paperback)

Four mothers, four daughters, four families whose histories shift with the four winds depending on who's "saying" the stories. In 1949 four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared unspeakable loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. Rather than sink into tragedy, they choose to gather to raise their spirits and money. "To despair was to wish back for something already lost. Or to prolong what was already unbearable." Forty years later the stories and history continue.

With wit and sensitivity, Amy Tan examines the sometimes painful, often tender, and always deep connection between mothers and daughters. As each woman reveals her secrets, trying to unravel the truth about her life, the strings become more tangled, more entwined. Mothers boast or despair over daughters, and daughters roll their eyes even as they feel the inextricable tightening of their matriarchal ties. Tan is an astute storyteller, enticing readers to immerse themselves into these lives of complexity and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

In 1949, four Chinese women--drawn together by the shadow of their past--begin meeting in San Francisco to play mah jong, invest in stocks and "say" stories. They call their gathering the Joy Luck Club--and forge a relationship that binds them for more than three decades.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,500,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible