Thor, Vol. 1 by J. Michael Straczynski

Thor, Vol. 1 (original 2008; edition 2008)

by J. Michael Straczynski (Author)

Series: Thor, 2007 series (1-6)

271978,387 (3.79)5
Not a clone Not a robot Not an imaginary story The God of Thunder is back But how does a god return from Ragnarok? And what place will he find in a world torn by Civil War?
Member:TyButton
Title:Thor, Vol. 1
Authors:J. Michael Straczynski (Author)
Info:Marvel (2008), 160 pages

Work Information

Thor, Vol. 1 by J. Michael Straczynski (2008)

A very interesting take on Thor, with a reboot done by an excellent writer/artist combination. This is the first Thor series that I have read, and I found it very enjoyable, immersing, and somewhat easy to follow. It was written right around the civil war period in Marvel comics, with elements from that story reaching in and driving the plot. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
This is a very compelling start to a new arc for Thor, yet it might be confusing for those unfamiliar with the Civil War crossover, which takes place just before this. It features an alter ego for Thor, which I didn't know about before. I thought he was just himself on Earth? This comic says otherwise. ( )
  bobbybslax | May 17, 2020 |
I know, I know. I swore off superhero comics. But I saw this book recommended at my favorite bookstore the day I discovered Saga. And Thor was the only character I actually liked in that Avengers book I read. So I put this on my hold list.

Sigh.

It's true, the outfits are much more reasonable than most of the superhero comics I've been complaining about. Though despite the fact that this is a reboot, I felt like I was missing MILES of backstory. There were elements here that I really liked -- Thor creating Asgard in the middle of Oklahoma, then raising it to float a few feet in the air when authorities show up to tell him he can't build on land he doesn't own; the tribal leader at a refugee camp politely but firmly telling the Norse gods to take their war mongering elsewhere.

But as much as I like the idea of these entire DC and Marvel universes that you can tap into anywhere and then just keep on exploring forever, in reality I think it's the universe creation that I really love. And how often does anyone get to do that at DC or Marvel? I'll stick to my independents, thank you very much. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Well, I did miss what happened before but things would seem to have gone badly for the Norse Pantheon and now it's only Thor left. He decides to build a new Valhalla and to cause the gods to awake in the human bodies they now live in.

It's interesting, I'm not sure that it truly works without more backsstory but I liked it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 3, 2014 |
After Ragnarok, Thor and the other gods have been consigned to the blackness, dead in essence.

Thor returns to the world of the living and meets up again with Dr Don Blake, his human "host".

Asgard is rebuilt, but it is a lonely place, and Thor decides to return the other Norse Gods to fill Asgard. The locals (rural america) are not impressed and by the end, still havent fully come around to having Gods in their back yard.

Meanwhile Thor travels the world seeking out the other Gods in their human form, hoping to bring them forward before their hosts die. Each story is the tale of one such rescue, where Thor has to overcome some foe, either human or god. The final chapter sees him trying to rescue all remaining gods, even if it means his own destruction.....
  nordie | Nov 26, 2012 |

J. Michael Straczynskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coipel, OlivierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Djurdjevic, MarkoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morales, MarkInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I have dreamed such dreams.
Excuse us...but we heard...we heard there was cake, and, well--what unfortunate day's events are not made gladder by cake?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,240,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible