The Ruby in the Smoke (1985)

by Philip Pullman

Series: The Sally Lockhart Quartet (1)

In nineteenth-century London, sixteen-year-old Sally, a recent orphan, becomes involved in a deadly search for a mysterious ruby.
    A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee (Anonymous user, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are Victorian-era mysteries with smart and feisty female protagonists. Pullman's trilogy is definitely the darker of the two series, but Lee's complex and capable protagonist makes The Agency series well worth a read for cozy mystery lovers.… (more)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Excellent Victorian era historical fiction mysteries with strong female protagonists
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (Aleana)
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    The Heiress of Linn Hagh by Karen Charlton (wordcauldron)
    The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap (sweetiegherkin)
    The Broken Bridge by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    The Escape From Home by Avi (nocowardsoul)
    The Affinity Bridge by George Mann (rosylibrarian)
    The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle by Catherine Webb (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Another Victorian London-set mystery, but with a fantasy element, more humour and a stronger sense of setting.

English (91)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (95)
This is the first of Pullman's Sally Lockhart mysteries. The book is a quick, engaging read. The perfect sort of light amusing fluff for a long train ride, as I happened to be on when I read it. In fact, the only problem with it, as a book for the train, is that it was too quick of a read. I finished it before we were halfway to our destination!
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
Pullman's stories are regarded as young adult material because the main characters are teenagers, but they will appeal to anyone looking for a dark Victorian mystery. Sally's father died unexpectedly leaving her to fend for herself in grim surroundings. Like Dickens' stories, this one involves the seediest side of London and the smoke refers to opium. Although I enjoyed it I'm glad that Victorian life was not my experience. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 5, 2022 |
A fun novel to read, but I never really got much idea of her character, and mixed up her two young men. Fun side characters and good settings, but the plot never really captured me.
  lisamlane | Jan 13, 2022 |
I think this maybe the first Pullman novel I've read. I have several of them on my to-be-read shelves, but I've not read one yet...very good story. I am looking forward to the remainder of the series. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jun 19, 2021 |
Love the smoke, keep the ruby. ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benson, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mak, KamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stutzman, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marina and Sonia
For Jude
On a cold, fretful afternoon in early October, 1872, a hansom cab drew up outside the offices of Lockhart and Selby, Shipping Agents in the financial heart of London, and a young girl got out and paid the driver.

Soon after Sally Lockhart's father drowns at sea, she receives a strange anonymous letter. The dire warning it contains makes a man die of fear at her feet. Determined to discover the truth about her father's death, Sally is plunged into a terrifying mystery in the dark heart of Victorian London, at the centre of which lie a deadly blood-soaked jewel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,966,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible