The Yearling (Aladdin Classics) by Marjorie…

The Yearling (Aladdin Classics) (original 1938; edition 2001)

by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (Author), Patricia Reilly Giff (Foreword)

A young boy living in the Florida backwoods is forced to decide the fate of a fawn he has lovingly raised as a pet.
Member:MMKY
Title:The Yearling (Aladdin Classics)
Authors:Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (Author)
Other authors:Patricia Reilly Giff (Foreword)
Info:Aladdin (2001), Edition: 1st Aladdin Paperbacks Ed, 528 pages
Rating:*****

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (1938)

The Sundowners by Jon Cleary (BonnieJune54)
    BonnieJune54: Both novels have boys coming of age in a vividly described rural setting of another era. In both cases Mom, Dad and son are somewhat isolated from others. While life is harsh, joy , love and laughter are present.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book was much better than I anticipated. The characters are well developed.. I felt sad to have the story end and not know how they fared in the future. The story begins with Jodi as a somewhat irresponsible boy and becomes a man through a heart- rending event. I normally find "coming of age" novels as too sappy for my taste, but this was well- written and never boring or predictable. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
(24) I actually read this out loud to my 10 year old sons and finished it last month. I have been undecided about adding the books I read aloud to them to my 'library.' This is a re-read as I read it myself as a tween - I remembered it being a difficult read which I wanted to stop many times, I remember it being shattering emotionally given my love for animals and my own longing for pets. My adult self agrees with those memories and I daresay my children do as well. Although, they put on a brave front re: Flag's denouement - cracking jokes and making fun of my emotional distress. I later confronted the softer one who admitted it was indeed a smokescreen to deflect the pain.

They got a kick out of the Southern country dialect. I wonder what my 12 year old Massachusetts self must of made of the Southern backwoods patois - I certainly can make more sense of it now given my adopted home State. I have read the children abridged versions of such classics as 'The Call of the Wild,' 'Black Beauty,' and 'Treasure Island,' but this is one of the first unabridged classic novels I have attempted with them and I think it was a success. The other was the more brief but similar 'Old Yeller,' which really got to them about 1-2 years ago. We have also read the entire 'Harry Potter' and "Chronicles of Narnia' series out loud over the past few years, and recently finished another (horrid) series called 'The Land of Stories.' We also read 'The Phantom Tollbooth,' which I had never read as a kid. I know with at least one of my sons, I am instilling in him the love of reading, and I am trying my darnedest with the other.

In any event, this should fit the bill as a 're-read' which I do this time of year. This was lovely, heart-breaking, a good book for little boys, even if some of it is rough for an animal lover and someone who has never and would never hunt. The bear cubs! The panther cubs! really! But I do believe, they shouldn't be sheltered from this mentality in particular as our family eats meat. It is a way to introduce the concept of hard choices. Anyway, I am glad I chose this for the boys and I hope it will be a permanent memory burrowed deep in their little hearts. I will now start adding books I read aloud to them to my yearly count/review list if I find the choices worth it. ( )
  jhowell | May 17, 2020 |
very good condition
  JamesLemons | Apr 23, 2020 |
I wasted my time reading this book. The only reason why I finished was because I had to do a summer reading assignment on it. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |

Rawlings, Marjorie Kinnanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shenton, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N.C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A column of smoke rose thin and straight from the cabin chimney. The smoke was blue where it left the red of the clay. It trailed into the blue of the April sky and was no longer blue but gray. The boy Jody watched it, speculating. The fire on the kitchen hearth was dying down. His mother was hanging up pots and pans after the noon dinner. The day was Friday. She would sweep the floor with a broom of ti-ti and after that, if he were lucky, she would scrub it with the corn shucks scrub. If she scrubbed the floor she would not miss him until he had reached the Glen. He stood a minute, balancing the hoe on his shoulder.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible