The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking

by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, Bronwen Godfrey

The original, classic cookbook devoted to baking honest, delectable and nutritious whole grain breads. In a special section, the author has compiled a comprehensive and meticulous breadmaking "handbook".

Ah, Laurel's Kitchen. So much fun to read! I think the only item I made out of this cookbook was the English muffins and the recipe was quite sketchy. Kind of a go-into-the-kitchen-and-put-a-few-things-together-and-see-if-turns-out kind of recipe. I didn't care. I was having fun, getting into the mood.

A good cookbook if you like to read stories. Not the greatest cookbook for a beginning baker, but it does have some pretty good tips.

I don't own it, so I can't read the entire thing. Might be one to put on my list of "I need to buy this some day". ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
A guide to whole-grain breadmaking
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I had this book out from the library for a month and a half before I bit the bullet and bought it. During that time, I've made bread about twice a week, maybe a little less. This book has gotten me comfortable with whole-grain bread baking, and the explanations in the "Loaf for Learning" section have helped me tweak quantities and rising times as needed, which is something I wouldn't have known how to do otherwise. I also tried a recipe from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads in the middle of all that. While I might give Reinhart's techniques a try again in the future, I found the methods and instructions in Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book much more accessible as a relative beginner, and would recommend this as a starting point for others interested in making their own bread. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
A MUST for any bread baker. I have learned an amazing amount from this book. It is really amazing that if you follow the directions well, you can make healthful good tasting breads that are not bricks. A great variety of breads. I suggest that any serious baker buy this book and bake everything at least once.
  tkraft | Jun 5, 2008 |
This is one of the best books on whole grain baking. The recipes are very interesting and clear. The amount of oil and sweetener in the recipes is a little high, to my taste, but this can be easily modified. The guidance and instructions are clear and accurate. The breads all require whole grain flours. This book has various chapters, based on the various additions to the bread. The recipes cover a huge ground. Highly recommended. ( )
  oriboaz | May 5, 2008 |

Robertson, Laurelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flinders, Carolmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Godfrey, Bronwenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,980,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible