Enduring Love: A Novel by Ian McEwan

Enduring Love: A Novel (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Ian McEwan

The story begins on a windy spring day in the Chilterns when the calm, organized life of Joe Rose is shattered by a ballooning accident. The afternoon, Joe reflects, could have ended in mere tragedy, but for his brief meeting with Jed Parry. Unknown to Rose, something passes between them - something that gives birth in Parry to an obsession so powerful that it will test to the limits Rose's beloved scientific rationalism, threaten the love of his wife, Clarissa, and drive him to take desperate measures to stay alive.… (more)
Member:cornchz
Title:Enduring Love: A Novel
Authors:Ian McEwan
Info:Anchor (1998), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan (1997)

Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick (Limelite)
    Limelite: Both are literary love stories. Both spiral into violence.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Reader could be successfully paired with Enduring Love for English Studies. In addition either book could also be be paired with the film The Talented Mr Ripley under the theme of obsession or even Border Crossing by Pat Barker

English (91)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Didn't feel as slow as Atonement. I loved the ending. ( )
  KittyCatrinCat | Aug 29, 2021 |
Very clever and unique. ( )
  Kgferris | Jul 12, 2021 |
A story of how a horrible accident with a balloon brings two people together, and changes their lives.
The book keeps you interested and wondering about the main character, and one of the people he meets during the balloon accident. I guess this book can be considered a psychological thriller and not a romance, as my first impression led to. I like the title as it can be taken a number of ways, and the story lives up to that. Lowered my rating because the ending seemed to fall flat. ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
This book starts with a bang, but after the first chapter or so, I just couldn't bring myself to read it. It was entirely too predictable. I never finished it. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
This is the first Ian McEwan novel that I have ever read – probably not the last, as I did enjoy it despite thinking for the first 25 or so pages that it was not my kind of thing.

Joe Rose is a successful writer, in a happy relationship with his partner Clarissa. However, their lives change when one day they witness a horrific accident involving a hot air balloon, in which Joe intervenes to try and help. Jed Parry, another man who also tries to help becomes obsessed with Joe and starts stalking him, hanging out outside Joe’s home and writing him letters, convinced that his love for Joe is mutual.

The fallout from the accident and Joe’s increasing concern about Jed’s behaviour has an impact on Joe and Clarissa’s relationship, as both she and the reader start to wonder whether Joe – who also narrates the novel – is suffering from paranoia.

This is the stuff of fast paced psychological thrillers, but in fact this book does not fall neatly into that category. The pace of the story is at times quite slow, and Joe’s narration is verbose and intellectual. As mentioned above, when I first started reading it I did think this might not be one I would enjoy, but I am glad I stuck with it, because I did find myself getting drawn in. I could sympathise with Joe, although I never really warmed to him. There were some surprises along the way, but not the sort of ‘gotcha’ surprises or twists that some thrillers deliver (which is in no way a criticism). Overall an interesting read and one I would recommend. ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | Nov 13, 2020 |
Ian McEwan's reputation as a writer of small, impeccably written fictions is secure. His gift for the cold and scary is well established, too: among the critical praise that festoons his book jackets, the word "macabre" crops up more than once. But his books are more than tales of suspense and shock; they raise issues of guilt and love and fear, essentially of what happens when the civilized and ordered splinters against chaos.

McEwan, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basso, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

detebe (23162)
to Annalena
The beginning is simple to mark.
When it's gone, you'll know what a gift love was.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,149,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible