The Value of Humor: The Story of Will Rogers (Value Tale)

by Spencer Johnson, Spencer Johnson

Series: ValueTales

One in a series of works which demonstrate the importance of various values. In this work a biography of Will Rogers illustrates the value of humor.

Summary: This book is about a boy named Will Rogers. He had a horse and a cowboy lasso named Larry Ett. Will was always playing when it was time for homework. At school he always told funny jokes, and the principal didn't like it, so she kicked him out of the school. Will's dad put him in a different school, so he wouldn't tell any more jokes. When Will was older, he went somewhere else to live without his parents, and he became a cowboy when he got older. And he became famous. One day, Will found out that the President was coming to watch him in one of his shows, and he had jokes about the President. He was worried that the President was not going to like it. But when he told the jokes about the President, the President laughed harder than anybody else.
Personal Reaction: I liked this book! I never knew that Will Rogers got kicked out of school! Even as an adult, I still learn new things every day. I think it was definitely one of the greatest career because he was a comedian, an actor, a cowboy, and a pilot.
Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) I would ask each of the students to make their own (appropriate) jokes and then share them with the class.
2.) I would also ask the class how they would react to performing in front of the President of the United States; also would ask them to write what they thought Will Rogers was thinking during his performance.
  Chelsey_Fodder | Apr 21, 2016 |
This book tells the story of a boy who has a hard time liking himself but his new "friend" helps him find humor and happiness within his life and himself. This book is good to show to students to help them believe in themselves. Whatever they like and enjoy doing, do their best and be happy with it. The illustrations are kind of old school. ( )
  mholtan | Dec 3, 2015 |

Spencer Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, Spencermain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible