Irresistible by Susan Mallery

Irresistible

by Susan Mallery

Irresistible by Susan Mallery
Walker is back from the military service and lives at the top apartment. Under him is Zoey and her mom, Elissa.
She does beads and works at a local store. He comes to the rescue when she has a flat, but she has no spare so he bought her one.
Now she pays him back with $5 a week and food.
Walkers mom intervenes with their relationship and she ends up with major health problems that alter Walker's plans with work.
The past catches up with them both and they open up to one another. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Elissa is a single mother who fears the biological father, a drug-addicted musician, turning up and wishes she could reconcile with the family from which she ran away 8 years ago. Walker Buchanan, of the restaurant empire Buchanans, moves in upstairs from her after leaving the Marines. Sparks fly. Nice characters, cute challenges. ( )
  Elishibai | Jul 7, 2010 |
I didn't know that this was book 2. I had no clue that it was part of a series. But even though I didn't know this, I loved this book. To me I wouldn't think that you would have to read the books in order to understand them or love them. This book was funny and a fast read for me. When I wasn't reading it I was thinking about it, and to me, those are the best books you can get.
I have to say that Walker is my dream guy, I want one of him delivered to my door step.. :) He is an ex-marine and when he moves into the building above Elissa's, she knows nothing about him. Then they meet when he offers to help her with her tire.
I love the chemistry between Elissa and Walker. And you really feel their love for each other as you are reading it.
If you love romances this is a a definite read for you!!! ( )
  trishalynn0708 | Jun 17, 2010 |
Walker Buchanan returns to Seattle after 15 years as a Marine and he has a number of secrets. He is on a mission to find the girlfriend of his buddy who took a bullet for him leaving him with guilt and nightmares. Walker has sworn off women partly because he is still feeling guilt over the way he treated his first love after learning she had breast cancer many years before. Elissa Towers has sworn off men and also has a number of secrets laced with some guilt. She is a single mom raising a 5 year old named Zoe and is barely scraping by. When Elissa's car develops a flat tire her reclusive neighbor, Walker, buys her a new tire. In exchange Elissa offers to fix meals for him and they both fight their growing attraction.

Both Walker and Elissa were solid characters and their problems were realistically portrayed. There were some emotional moments when Elissa is reunited with her estranged family and I was pleased to see that there was no quick convenient solution. Elissa and her parents had hurt each other and they worked through those hurts in the course of the book in a realistic way. Walker's grandma, Gloria Buchanan who is the matriarch of the family and runs the family restaurant business with an iron fist, has a heart attack and when she falls, breaks her hip. Gloria is one mean old lady hated by her family (except Reid) and a bit over the top.

This is a character driven story and I enjoyed reading how both Walker and Elissa deal with a mass of problems which kept me turning the pages. Walker and Elissa fight their attraction for a bit longer than I like and Elissa does something to distract Walker when he gets too close that I found rather distasteful. The dialogue was quick but rather emotionless at times and Walker would have been a better character if he had shown more emotion. Children can be rather distracting for me but Zoe was not overplayed and added a nice touch. (Grade: B) ( )
  reneebooks | Sep 6, 2009 |
Susan Mallery has done it again as far as writing an incredible series about the Seattle Buchanan family. Her second in the series (Delicious being the first), IRRESISTIBLE is just that. It's full of family issues, love, some danger, betrayal and includes short snippets about the Buchanan siblings. However, IRRESISTIBLE is Walker Buchanan's story.

Walker decides he must retire early from the Marine Corp. He's seen and been through way to much and he has a mission. His friend took a bullet for him and died with no family, no one to mourn with the exception of a young woman who he mentioned many times to Walker. Walker returns to Seattle and his family the the main purpose..... to find his friend's girlfriend and to deliver a letter to her. He is immediately thrust into two situations......the first being family duties to sit at the helm of the family corporation because his grandmother has to be hospitalized due to a heart attack and fall. The second; he moves into a neighborhood and meets three incredible people.....the beautiful Elissa, her daughter Zoe and Mrs. Ford who all reside in his building.

Neither Walker nor Elissa are looking for love but the forces of nature bring them, their families and a horrible ex-boyfriend into the mix. Lots of emotion with a lots of intensity in this love story.

This story is one I could not put down. Once I began Walker's journey, I read it immediately from cover to cover. Susan Mallery is a master storyteller and this series is such an entertaining one, one that will top the charts for the year and next year as well with additional books in the ( )
  MarilynS | Oct 31, 2007 |

Walker Buchanan returns from his stint in the marines to run the family business, but is distracted by single mom Eden Towers. Despite their attraction, both are wary about a relationship. But they soon learn love can happen when it's needed the most.
Mallery is at her addictive best in the charming second installment of her Buchanan family saga (after Delicious), focusing on emotionally disconnected elder sibling Walker. Returning to his Seattle home after 15 years with the Marines, Walker holds a number of secrets behind his handsome eyes—including the loss of his first love to breast cancer—and has already sworn off women when he offers to help his pretty neighbor Elissa Towers change a tire. Single mom to five-year-old Zoe, Elissa has also sworn off dating, despite her daughter's desperation for a father and her own unfulfilled sexual needs, but is drawn to Walker's strength and stoicism. Dedicated entirely to raising Zoe, Elissa plans to keep her involvement with Walker strictly imaginary ("Only thirteen more years... Then I can have sex again"), but thanks to prying family and neighbors, the two are pushed together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373771177, Mass Market Paperback)

It wasn't just her homemade brownies that made Walker find Elissa irresistible . . .

When ex-marine Walker Buchana stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do. And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor . . . right?

Both of them have sworn off dating -- Elissa's determined to protect her little girl, and that means ditching her taste for dangerous men . . . especially former marines with dark secrets. Walker knows that he's not cut out for hearth and home . . . his own crazy family made sure of that. But the sparks won't stop flying between them.

Now the two are struggling to keep their relationship "just friends," but with every kiss, their rules fly out the window . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:01 -0400)

"When ex-Marine Walker Buchanan stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do. And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor...right?" --P. [4] of cover.

Susan Mallery is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,253,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible