The Plague of Doves: A Novel (P.S.) by…

The Plague of Doves: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Louise Erdrich (Author)

Series: Justice Trilogy (1)

The unsolved murder of a farm family haunts the small, white, off-reservation town of Pluto, North Dakota. The vengeance exacted for this crime and the subsequent distortions of truth transform the lives of Ojibwe living on the nearby reservation and shape the passions of both communities for the next generation.… (more)
Member:sbep
Title:The Plague of Doves: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Louise Erdrich (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:

Work Information

The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich (2008)

Paradise by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    tangentialine: I love how the structure is similar, but also how in both books there is attention to some key characters and a focus on racial tension and the heritage of the past. And the language is breathtakingly gorgeous in both books.
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (CurrerBell)
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you want to read more about the characters and events portrayed in The Round House, read The Plague of Doves, which shares characters and events with the later novel.
    Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie (charl08)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (charl08)

English (78)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (84)
This book just did not gel with me. All over the place. I quit 3/4 of the way through.....
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
This one has it all: reservation life, murder, LSD, grandparents, sex, hangings, stamp collections, false hangings, psych wards, cemeteries, religious cults, and judgment. If it could be structured in some way that tied it all together, it would be a pleasure to read. There are some good passages, so I'm sure there's a talented writer in there. ( )
  ProfH | Nov 3, 2021 |
Parts of the book are amazing and top-rate Erdrich. Other parts are not. "Shamengawa," "The Plague of Doves," the chapter about the group surviving in the wilderness, and pretty much anything with Mooshum are excellent -- vivid, string characters, strong plot. But the chapter at the psychiatric hospital and the sections on the cult didn't work for me. Florid rather than vivid. Predictable rather than riveting. Still, the last chapters are beautiful and pull a lot of it together, ( )
1 vote eas7788 | Oct 26, 2021 |
Argh! This took me so long to read--I nearly abandoned it, but I knew I couldn't because it's LOUISE ERDRICH. There are few authors I will power through to the final page if I'm not hooked. It was such a perplexing read...there were the typical moments of humor and sadness that feel so particular to her work, but the episodic nature left me feeling really disoriented throughout most of the book. I had a really difficult time keeping track of the characters and their relationships to one another, to the point that I just didn't care about these people I was learning to care about. Almost til the very end I contemplated scrapping it for another time. And as if she knew how I struggled with this, Erdrich completes the book on SUCH a whiz-bang note that a resounding "OHHHHHHH" echoes through my brain, and I know I will indeed be revisiting this in years to come.

I will just make a note to take notes as I read it the next time. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
This story is an interplay of generations in interconnecting circles, presented in a kaleidoscope fashion of conflicting cultures and individual perceptions — those of prejudices, zealots, scoundrels, weirdness, well-meaning, and naïveté — with truths waiting in the wings to come out. Along the way are insights into the deceptiveness of human subjectivity, both uplifting and woeful. Altogether, the reading experience is paradoxical escapism into the reality of the conflicted human condition.

Maybe I'm sensitive to the human condition context, but I found Louise Erdrich's writing herein oddly compelling. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |
Writing in prose that combines the magical sleight of hand of Gabriel García Márquez with the earthy, American rhythms of Faulkner, Ms. Erdrich traces the connections between these characters and their many friends and relatives with sympathy, humor and the unsentimental ardor of a writer who sees that the tragedy and comedy in her people’s lives are ineluctably commingled. Whereas some of her recent novels, like “Four Souls” (2004), have suffered from predictability and contrivance, her storytelling here is supple and assured, easily navigating the wavering line between a recognizable, psychological world and the more arcane world of legend and fable. . . .

Erdrich, Louiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mantovani, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinharez, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The gun jammed on the last shot and the baby stood holding the crib rail, eyes wild, bawling.
Nothing that happens, nothing, is not connected here by blood.
But of course the entire reservation is rife with conflicting passions. We can't seem to keep our hands off one another, it is true, and every attempt to foil our lusts through laws and religious dictus seems bound instead to excite transgression.
What men call adventures usually consist of the stoical endurance of appalling daily misery.
What doesn't happen in the heat of things? Someone has seized the moment to act on their own biases. That's it. Or history. Sometimes it is history.
I wrote down as much of Mooshum's story as I could remember, and then the relatives of everyone I knew--parents, grandparents, way on back in time. I traced the blood history of the murders through my classmates and friends until I could draw out elaborate spider webs of lines and intersecting circles. I drew in pencil. There were a few people, one of them being Corwin Peace, whose chart was so complicated that I erased parts of it until I wore right through the paper. Still, I could not erase the questions underneath, and Mooshum was no help.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,541,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible