The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching…

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

by Jessie Wise

180None65,797 (3.86)3

I haven't read this all the way through or worked with a child on this, but it seems competent. I did worry that it was a little wordy for a small child, but can't say for sure whether it would be. Good to have another alternative for teaching reading.
  ChristianR | Aug 21, 2012 |
When my daughter was about 4, I got this book because she was so eager to read on her own. We got through all the short vowels and most of the consonants before we stopped. My daughter was reading on her own at an advanced level, and the lessons no longer interested her. She is now 10, loves to read and is an excellent speller. I can't say for sure whether it was this book that helped her figure out reading, but I think it did help her off to a great start. ( )
  Marse | Jan 18, 2012 |
detailed phonics base approach ( )
  librarianlou | Nov 30, 2006 |

A plain-English guide to teaching phonics. Every parent can teach reading—no experts need apply!

Too many parents watch their children struggle with early reading skills—and don't know how to help. Phonics programs are too often complicated, overpriced, gimmicky, and filled with obscure educationalese. The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading cuts through the confusion, giving parents a simple, direct, scripted guide to teaching reading—from short vowels through supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. This one book supplies parents with all the tools they need.

Over the years of her teaching career, Jessie Wise has seen good reading instruction fall prey to trendy philosophies and political infighting. Now she has teamed with dynamic coauthor Sara Buffington to supply parents with a clear, direct phonics program—a program that gives them the know-how and confidence to take matters into their own hands.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:56 -0400)

Providing a wealth of tools, instructional advice and easy-to-follow guidelines.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible