Weeds by Alexander C. Martin

The main advantage of the little golden guides is that they're little: you can stick a couple in a bag and barely notice the space or weight. And because of that, they pack as much information as possible into he books. And they pack in a lot. The text also tends to be readable in a way that a lot of field guides aren't: I have often whiled away a picnic or car trip just reading straight through one. They have good color drawings of pretty much every entry, too, which is my favorite type of illustration. They tend to make up space by not including as many different entries, though. In some guides this is just frustrating; however, what they usually do is describe related groups of plants as a whole, rather than each individual species. This isn't great when you're trying to figure out a species dammit! But it's really good training at making those "approximate" IDs, especially in cases where the species-level distinctions can be fairly subtle, and it lets the very small guides cover a lot of material in a very useful way.

The Golden Weeds guide is one of only three books in this entire pile that I actually bought new, and it's one of my most-used and my very favorites. It is, as the title hints, specifically focuse on the weedy roadside plants that are my special interest, and it has almost all of them, with great illustrations and descriptions. It goes on my walks with me, and this is the book that usually gives me my starting place, even if I have to look elsewhere to confirm or narrow it down.
1 vote melannen | Apr 12, 2012 |

Alexander C. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Webster, Vera R.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zallinger, JeanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A guide to the plants that cause billions of dollars annually in crop loss and control measures including information on the harm that weeds cause, their benefits from weeds, and major habitats.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:58 -0400)

Identifies the principal weeds and weed groups that invade lawns, gardens, fields, and roadsides.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,539,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible