How to Rig an Election: Confessions of a…

How to Rig an Election: Confessions of a Republican Operative

by Allen Raymond

This book was just about totally unreadable. I was disappointed because the topic is of great interest to me and it seemed like something I would enjoy.

It was hard to get past the "why me why me, everyone hates meeeeeee" section in the very beginning as Raymond is being sentenced for his crimes. The GOP had it in for him. His former colleagues turned on him, the punks. Yeah, okay, whatever.

The book follows his story as he attends the Graduate School of Political Management at George Washington University through various campaigns, the fateful New Hampshire race and the trial after. The writing did not do much to capture my attention. The topic held me for a while, but to be honest he seems to be more of a brilliant operative in his own mind. Thinking he had hit the jackpot as a campaign manager dealing with a potential domestic violence scandal when the guy he's working for may or may not be scum.

It was tough to read how he didn't seem to see any problem with his tactics, even when they are clearly shady, ie the phone jamming. Whatever it takes to win, eh? He does a little soul searching at the end, but it's too little, too late. I suppose people are supposed to take something from that, but...I just couldn't find it within me to be impressed at all.

Unless you have an interest in this guy's story or what it's like being in campaigns or identify as Republican, I would skip it. Beyond political persuasion the book is really not well written at all and despite the topic it was just too hard to get past the sloppy writing (there are even typos in my book). Library or bargain if you have to. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
My first non-fiction read of 2009! It was a quick, easy read, perhaps disturbingly so considering the content. The author, Allen Raymond, was convicted of phone-jamming in the 2002 New Hampshire elections. He's very candid about why he entered politics-- to make money and gain power-- and disdainful of any politicians who attempt to claim otherwise. Although he serves jail time in the end, he seems to feel little remorse or, indeed, even see what was so wrong about what he did. If this were a novel, the ending would lack a satisfying resolution. This is "real life," however, so I can't complain about storyline. The details of insider political life and back room dealings are the most interesting part, and I wish more time had been devoted to recording the various trials.

I recommend this if you're interested in politics and election law, and/or if you're a liberal. I'm all of the above, and enjoyed it. ( )
  allthesedarnbooks | Jan 8, 2009 |

An insider's account of the Republican election machine reveals the practices of libel, spin, and misrepresentation that have affected campaign outcomes throughout the past decade, and traces how the author landed in federal prison for fraud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,583,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible