Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Abe Lincoln's Hat (Step into Reading) by…

Abe Lincoln's Hat (Step into Reading) (edition 1994)

by Martha Brenner (Author)

Member:jessicadpeters
Title:Abe Lincoln's Hat (Step into Reading)
Authors:Martha Brenner (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1994), 48 pages

Abe Lincoln's Hat by Martha Brenner

This book is a riveting story about what Abe Lincoln's life was like when he was a lawyer. Though the story depicts him as a great guy with very few faults, they do show how he enjoyed a good joke and show that he liked to help people. The book says Lincoln was against slavery though it does not tell that he once held slaves himself while he was president. This is still a quality story to help young children know that Lincoln was more than just the president of the United States. ( )
  PodPuff | Mar 19, 2018 |
This was a pretty good book. I thought it was a creative way to teach young children about a great president who changed life as we know it today. Instead of making his life like a history lesson, it was more of an interesting story. I liked how in almost every page the illustrator included his hat. I learned that Lincoln was an amazing lawyer before he was president. He changed the lives of many good people. For example, he freed a black woman named Nance, from being a slave. From then on, selling people was not allowed inn Illinois. I wasn't a fan of some of the pages that felt just like fillers. For example, there was a whole page dedicated to his horse and how slow it was. This did not really contribute to the story. Overall, it was a good book and a good way to get young students to learn about a man who changed our country for the better. ( )
  mthomassie | Jan 31, 2018 |
Summary
This book is very informational about Abe Lincoln. An early look at his career as a lawyer. He told jokes and stories while in court, He helped others when they asked him or wrote him.

Personal Reaction:
I found this book very interesting. I love the personal side of his important papers that were kept in his hat.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would have the students make a hat and write a letter to a family member.
2. I would have a mock trial in the classroom to show how the judicial system works ( )
  CarrieDann | Apr 23, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book. The characters are very well developed , especially Abe himself. I liked how they gave him a personality and the book wasn't just purely information about him, For example, the book focused on his hat and how he put papers in there so he wouldn't forget them. The book did this in conjunction with giving information about his life and contributions. Another reason I liked the book was for its writing. It was engaging to the reader. For example, particular scene on the book where the children tripped Abe and his papers went flying everywhere set a sad tone for thst point in the story, as it insinuated that Abe would forget everything without his papers. He ended up remembering, but still continued to put papers in his hat. The main point of the story was to inform readers a bout Abe Lincoln's life and how he used his hat to help remember things, This in turn helped him to achieve many goals as president. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 1, 2017 |
This book is filled with so many fun facts about Abe Lincoln. I learned things that I never knew about him before, like he used to keep important letters in his famous hat. This is such a good book to share with students as they learn about Abe Lincoln.
  Katie_Manna | Sep 25, 2016 |

Martha Brennerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cook, DonaldIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. Abraham Lincoln, one of our greatest presidents, started out in life as an absent-minded frontier lawyer. How did he nudge his memory? He stuck letters, court notes, contracts, and even his checkbook in his trademark top hat. When he took off his hat, it was all there!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

Frontier lawyer Abraham Lincoln cures his absent-mindedness by placing letters, court notes, contracts, and his checkbook in his tall black hat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible