The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston

Member:rocko
Title:The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:suspense+thrilleer

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, Tricialenht, Naberuius, michanne987

English (94)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All (103)
Pretty good, I suppose. Not my usual kind of fare but I really like Pendergast. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
There's a lot to love about this even blend of techno-thriller and sci-fi horror, including an exhilarating final act and the introduction of a certain, magnetic, Southern FBI agent. ( )
  Birdo82 | Feb 14, 2018 |
The beginning of the novel opens with an expedition and an explanation of a legend. By chapter 3, we are back in New York City! And a few chapters after that, introduction of the monster and our first death! Eventually, we are introduced to D'Agosta, who keeps me reading until Pendergast finally arrives. My book is worn from multiple readings.

Don't get me wrong. I love the classics. My favorites include all of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, Hamlet, Tale of Two Cities, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride Prejudice and Zombies, The Walking Dead compendiums 1/2, Q-squared....wow, I seriously digressed from classics to.....new classics. :)

Ultimately, the reason I love Relic: It is an intelligent read, yet allows my brain to relax and have fun. My initial read was exciting, a monster loose in the museum. But as the chapters went on, we, the readers, discover it isn't just a monster. Clues are left, stories are told. There is something more to it than just a mindless monster.

I love stories that have mystery in them. It forces my mind to work through the problem and the clue in order to come up with possible solutions. Obviously, this is why Sherlock is a favorite of mine.....and Pendergast. ( )
  santaflash | Jan 2, 2018 |
Preston and Child would have to rank as two of my favourite authors. How can you go past characters like Pendergast and D'Agosta?

I'm going to gradually make my way through the Pendergast series over the coming months, having bought most of them. The only uncertainty is whether or not I'll re-read Cemetery Dance and Still Life With Crows. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible