The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston

Member:rocko
Title:The Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:suspense+thrilleer

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

Recently added byrena75, Radrat70, Shadow_Sandy, private library, Spunkypineapple

English (98)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (107)
I was in the mood for some monster mayhem, and THE RELIC has long been a favorite movie, so I finally got round to the original book, and I'm glad I did.

It's a fine example of the genre and reads a bit like an extended monster-of-the-week episode of the X-Files, with some added gore and thrills. The claustrophobic nature of the museum at night is a great venue for the jump scares and the monster itself is well realized, and suitably nasty in its habits.

There's an unfortunate sag in the middle 'what are we dealing with here' section, with too many talking heads and point of view characters - the movie did away with that by dropping some characters all together and merging others into each other. But it's a minor quibble in what is a great creature feature that rattles along nicely apart from that.

The prose is direct and straightforward, there's little character development, but really, that's not the point of a tale such as this. You're in a museum, at night, locked in with a ravenous beast that will eat your brain. At such times, it's not literary quality that you're thinking about.
  williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
I loved this book. I got hooked right away! It follows a young woman who works at a museum and is working to put together a collection for an upcoming exhibit. Strange things start happening - people disappear, people are found brutally killed, there are strange movements and sounds in the dark - and our female protagonist decides to investigate. I was hooked so quickly and wanted to know what was actually happening. The reveal towards the end is definitely quite unrealistic (though it's explained away in a fairly scientific manner that makes it sort of work - similar to a Jurassic Park sort of scenario). I've been hooked on the series ever since (and absolutely love Agent Pendergast)! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
Creepy and scary. Love when creatures go bad type stories. ( )
  caanderson | Jul 1, 2018 |
Such a thrilling book. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.... I cannot wait to start the sequel. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Pretty good, I suppose. Not my usual kind of fare but I really like Pendergast. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,613,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible