Found (The Missing, Book 1) by Margaret…

Found (The Missing, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)

Member:duwilson
Title:Found (The Missing, Book 1)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

English (138)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (140)
This story has a crazy and intriguing premise behind it. I love the set up and the loyalty/camaraderie between the main characters so far. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
Jonah Skidmore is adopted and thirteen years old. He's always been comfortable with this, and finds his sister Katherine, one year younger and not adopted, no more irritating than most boys his age find their sisters.

Then Jonah and his friend Chip, who is also adopted, get mysterious and vaguely threatening letters, telling them that they are among the "missing," and that someone is coming to get them back.

They start asking questions about their adoptions, and Jonah's father contacts the agency Jonah came from. He's given a name, James Reardon, who may have more information about where Jonah came from.

He's with the FBI.

On a visit to his office with their parents, Jonah and Katherine get a list of other names of children adopted at the same time they were. They have to sneak; Reardon apparently had nothing he wanted to tell them, but only to make clear to the Skidmores that any questions could result in Jonah being deported.

What is going on?

As more and more strange events surround Jonah and Chip, and they learn that other children on the mysterious list are getting letters, too,

The story is fast-paced, clever, and deals honestly with the feelings and frustrations of adopted children.

It should also be noted that this is the first of a series, and while there is a resolution of a sort at the end, it's also the beginning of the longer, larger story.

A strong opening to a series.

I bought this book.
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This is a no rating book for me. I didn’t abandon it but I forced myself to keep reading and then started skimming.

I seem to have lost my taste for most ya books. This one didn’t do it for me. There is nothing wrong with the writing and many of my students loved it. For me there was nothing hooking me and compelling me to read more. Again this seems to be common for me these days with ya.
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Rating: 5 Stars

I typically read this book at least once a year, I just love it SO much. But for some reason, I can't bring myself to read past book 2. Anyway, this is a fantastic book, hooked me from page one.

What gives thus book 5 stars?
1.) The cover...love the cover and is a perfect display of what the book is about.
2.) The character development of mainly the two boys builds very well throughout the story as they come to terms with their newfound discover of who they really are.
3.) The plot is so intriguing. Throughout this book there are so many twists and surprising discoveries, it keeps you hooked from the very beginning. Be for warned, the ending is a nerve wreaking cliffhanger!

All in all, a great read and a long series! Perfect for those who love adventure, mystery and time travel! ( )
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |
Not as "timeless" as her "Among" series - too many already-dated references - but otherwise okay. However, much of the plot depends on having kids do something they KNOW is stupid. This is bad when adult characters do it, and requires great finesse by the author to make it work, but the author has no excuse for inflicting children with this flaw. At least they have the excuse that they might not know it's stupid, but that has to also be set up properly. ( )
  librisissimo | Sep 21, 2017 |
Gr 4–8—Haddix's latest science fiction series starts off with a bang in this nail-biter. A plane arrives at an airline gate unnoticed by radar and most personnel. There are no flight attendants, no pilot, in fact no adults at all, but there are 36 passengers—each seat is inhabited by an infant. Thirteen years later in Ohio, teenage adoptees Jonah and his friend Chip begin receiving ominous messages declaring that they are among "the missing" and that someone is coming to find them. Frightened yet intrigued, the boys begin a search for their real identities with the help of Jonah's younger sister. Their search leads them to a discovery that strains credulity and leads them into danger greater than they ever imagined possible. The story is driven by an exciting plot rather than extensive character development, and the teens act independently of the adults, who appear as "bad guys" or are basically useless. If used in a classroom, the revelation of the babies' identities can be used to kick off a history lesson or two. This book's exciting premise and cliff-hanger ending will leave readers on the edge of their seats and begging for more.—Heather M. Campbell, Philip S. Miller Library, Castle Rock, CO
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Reed Business Informatin

Starred Review. In a tantalizing opener to a new series, Haddix (the Shadow Children series) taps into a common childhood fantasy—that you are really the offspring of royalty or famous people, and were somehow adopted by an ordinary family—and one-ups it by adding in time travel. As the novel begins, a brand-new airline employee experiences an event that she is later told never to talk about: a plane carrying 36 babies, and no one else, not even a pilot, shows up without warning at a nearby gate. Fast-forward 13 years, and two 13-year-old friends, Chip and Jonah, are receiving mysterious notes, with messages like You are one of the missing and Beware! They're coming back to get you. Only then does Chip learn that he, like Jonah, is adopted. Joined by Jonah's sister, Katherine, the boys investigate and discover that the FBI was involved with their adoptions. These smart kids show initiative and do a great job using familiar technology (camera phones, photo-editing programs, etc.) to get information and track down other adoptees. By book's end they are trapped by some shady characters; learn that they are among the most famous missing children in history (e.g., Virginia Dare, the 15th-century English princes in the Tower); and get sent back in time. Readers will be hard-pressed to wait for the next installment. Ages 8-12. (Apr.)

added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Information

For my brothers
It wasn't there.

Thirteen-year-old Jonah has always known that he was adopted, and he's never thought it was any big deal. Then he and a new friend, Chip, who's also adopted, begin receiving mysterious letters. The first one says, "You are one of the missing." The second one says, "Beware! They're coming back to get you."
Jonah, Chip, and Jonah's sister, Katherine, are plunged into a mystery that involves the FBI, a vast smuggling operation, an airplane that appeared out of nowhere -- and people who seem to appear and disappear at will. The kids discover they are caught in a battle between two opposing forces that want very different things for Jonah and Chip's lives.

Do Jonah and Chip have any choice in the matter? And what should they choose when both alternatives are horrifying?

When thirteen-year-olds Jonah and Chip, who are both adopted, find out that they were discovered on a plane that appeared out of nowhere, full of babies with no adults on board, they realize that they have uncovered a mystery involving time travel and two opposing forces, each trying to capture them.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,661,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible