Everything but Money by Sam Levenson

Everything but Money (edition 1966)

by Sam Levenson

Member:bergs47
Title:Everything but Money
Authors:Sam Levenson
Info:Simon & Schuster (1966), Edition: 6th Pntg, Hardcover, 285 pages
Tags:Jewish, Humour, 1969

Everything but Money by Sam Levenson

Born in 1911, Sam Levenson grew up in East Harlem, a slum of New York, before and during the depression. His parents raised eight children as immigrant Jews. Sam writes in his book, "We had plenty: plenty of relatives, neighbors, borders, janitors, landlords, holidays, cockroaches,cats. dogs, music, books, romance, fights, parties, weddings medals, illnesses, politician, superstitions and junk."

The author became a school teacher, then a radio/television personality. This is his memoir. First person account of a rich childhood in a blighted urban slum. Very amusing, filled with ironic observations.

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it."

"It was on my fifth birthday that Papa put his hand on my shoulder and said, 'Remember, my son, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.'" ( )
  keylawk | Dec 31, 2013 |
I'm including this little book in my reviews because it is such a gem. Anyone raising children today would be comforted by the story of Sam Levenson's growing up in New York before and during the depression. He was one of eight children. Sam writes in his book, "We had plenty: plenty of relatives, neighbors, borders, janitors, landlords, holidays, cockroaches,cats. dogs, music, books, romance, fights, parties, weddings medals, illnesses, politician, superstitions and junk. According to the Constitution we were first class citizens, but we could only afford second-class merchandise." Imagine, mentioning the Constitution without going on a hatred rant. How different were those times!

For anyone who doesn't know, Sam Levenson was a teacher for fifteen years in the New York school system before he became a radio, televion personality and writer. He had a very strict Jewish childhood that he lovingly writes about without bitterness, and with tremendous humor. He was a gracious and rare individual. He loved and respected his parents. He credits them with doing the very best they could with the limited resources they had. He adored his wife and credits her with being his very first consultant in writing his book.

My copy of Everyting But Money is tattered, and itself has seen some hard times. I loved this book, and hope that I fall apart before it does.

Thank you, Sam and God bless you for sharing your story with us. Shalom. ( )
1 vote MsJolee | Jun 10, 2013 |
1001 Everything But Money, by Sam Levenson (read 10 Mar 1969) I have no post-reading note on this, but I remember it was funny but light reading.
  Schmerguls | Jul 12, 2009 |
My parents came to America by invitation. [It was a postcard picture of Lady Liberty with the Emma Lazarus poem.]

In this timeless classic that topped the New York Times bestseller list in 1966 and 1967, Sam Levenson recalls his childhood with the warmth and affectionate humor that endeared the author and humorist to millions of Americans. He describes the cramped New York tenement which he shared with his parents, his six older brothers, and his sister as a (3zsa life of plenty(3ys?plenty of relatives, neighbors, boarders, janitors, hugs, slaps, books, music, weddings, illnesses, cats, dogs, cockroaches, and the like. He recalls how his parents bestowed upon him a (3zslife of plenty(3ys?plenty of hope, ambition, and faith in education, all of which became the hallmarks of his life and career. As he remembers his parents with overwhelming love, and cherishes the ethical values they instilled in him, he shows how those values are timeless and have helped him as he became a parent. His vivid recollections of a big family, rich in everything but money, are interspersed with a deep concern for the social and moral dilemmas facing today?s young people, dilemmas which carry on to this day. Sam Levenson?s blend of sweetness, hilarity and wisdom shines through Everything But Money and offers lessons that we can all learn from, lessons that are timeless and as relevant now as they were 50 years after Everything But Money was first released.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible