700 Sundays by Billy Crystal

700 Sundays (edition 2006)

by Billy Crystal

Info:Grand Central Publishing (2006), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Memoir, Fathers and Sons, G

700 Sundays by Billy Crystal

This is a heart-warming and touching story. Billy Crystal tells the story of his life from birth until the death of both his parents, but really talks very little about himself and his amazing career. This book is about family and love and how those can influence and uplift as well as create sorrow and loss when the family is shattered by death. I laughed and I cried during this one. It is relatively short and yet it packs a powerful punch.

Highly recommended. ( )
  bookswoman | Oct 6, 2013 |
I liked this book much more than I expected to. It was downright funny at time, pulled on the heart strings at others and left me feeling like this was a man who really loves his family.

Outside of this book, I really no nothing about his upbringing, his family, his delve into celebrity fame. What I love about his story, is that he focused on all the people who shaped him into who he became and not on the ins and outs of A-List Hollywood [as most celebrity memoirs tend to be..].

His uncle became the first person in the record industry to develop mail order catalogues, they brought jazz into the city, brought musicians together who never would've played in the same venue due to race. His family was the sole reason that Billie Holiday's, harrowing song about the lynching of black people in the South, was ever recorded. (Listen to it here!

What touched me the most, was the tenderness he spoke about his Mother and Father. He had rougly 700 Sundays to spend with his Father before his untimely death in the 1960s. He was 15 years old. By those calculations, I got to have about 936 Sundays with my Father before we lost him. It's funny how I would trade all 900 of those Sundays in exchange for just one more with him.

A short, sweet, funny novel that made me really have a new respect and liking of Billy Crystal. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 5, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 5, 2013 |
We had the pleasure of seeing Crystal do his performance of the book last year in Dallas. Fabulous. See it if you ever have the chance. 700 Sundays brought back all those wonderful stories. What a great family and a great life. ( )
  cmaese | Jan 19, 2013 |
Consider the rose . . . The rose is the sweetest smelling flower of all, and it's the most beautiful because it's the most simple, right? But sometimes, you got to clip the rose. You got to cut the rose back, so something sweeter smelling and stronger, and even more beautiful, will grow in its place.
-- Zutty Singleton
For Mom and Dad
We got a new car!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446578673, Hardcover)

Actor and comedian Billy Crystal has forged a highly successful career by portraying other people in movies like When Harry Met Sally… and City Slickers. But in 700 Sundays, a memoir based on his one-man Broadway play of the same name, Crystal tells his own story, dissecting an often complex relationship with his father and how that relationship resonated in other aspects of his life. His father, Jack Crystal was an influential jazz concert promoter and operated an influential jazz record label, affording his son an opportunity to tell stories of being taken to his first movie by Billie Holliday and seeing his grandmother suggest that Louis Armstrong simply "try coughing it up." But Jack died when his son was fifteen years old, soon after a forever-unresolved argument between the two, leaving Billy to cope with crushing grief while simultaneously and perhaps ironically trying to launch a career in comedy. This lends 700 Sundays much needed gravity in a volume that is packed with zingy one-liners and whimsical observations that serve to illustrate the comedy career Crystal forged, while also providing some decent laughs. Interestingly, there is very little reference to the better known accomplishments of Crystal’s Hollywood career as the author chooses to focus instead on the seemingly mundane but highly entertaining aspects of his Long Island roots. Though 700 Sundays (the name comes from Crystal’s estimation of how many Sundays he got to spend with his father) is packaged here in book form, it reads like a piece of theater and, more specifically, like a selection of memories about a father, lovingly and touchingly re-told by his loving son. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:47 -0400)

One of America's most beloved entertainers takes us home. Billy Crystal opens the front door to a time in his life when he shared joy, love, music, and laughter with an eccentric family headed by the hardworking father who left them all too soon. From the story of the Crystal family's proud connection to the New York jazz scene of the 40s and 50s, to the hilarious living room performances that would sow the seeds of Billy's career, to the times of tragedy, heartbreak, and his mother's unending courage, this book celebrates the memories, the love, and all the other wonderful gifts parents can give a child. This is a tribute to a family and the people who helped make him a man.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible