Words of Stone by Kevin Henkes

Words of Stone (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Kevin Henkes

Member:rdhunt
Title:Words of Stone
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Info:Greenwillow Books (1992), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:NIU Storage Bookshelf

Words of Stone by Kevin Henkes (1992)

Not my favorite Henkes - for some reason the lovely subtlety was too subtle, and the drama was too dramatic, for me to consider this a perfect book. I love how there are no answers, nobody is going to fix anything, there's no quest or resolution....

Simply, the 'plot' is about how the kids learn to know themselves better, find their strengths, and develop ways to cope with life's challenges both large and small. Sometimes the adults learn a little something, too - but mostly they're either quietly wise and brave, like Claire and Nova, or idjits, like The Beautiful Vicki. I would like to get to know Grammy Floy better - she was neither perfect nor a loser.

I must continue to make sure I read everything by Henkes. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is about two kids. The boy is named Blaze. The girl is named Joselle. They meet later and find out that they have things in common. I like this book because it is about friendship. I recommend this book to people who like reading about friendship. ( )
  James.Rose3 | Apr 11, 2015 |
Ten year old shy, red-haired Blaze Werla is hurting. Losing his mother to cancer has a profound impact on him. Added to the trama is the fact that he was badly burned and scared from a freak carnival accident.

Each year he returns to the ferris wheel hoping he can have the courage to overcome his fears, and each year he fails.

He has a strong support base of a loving father and grandmother, but still his imaginary friends are the ones to whom he turns.

When Joselle Stark arrives in the neighborhood, his life is turned upside down and he struggles to share and develop a relationship with a real life friend.

Abandoned by her near do well mother and dumped at her grandmother's house, Joselle is not exactly the best choice for a trustful friend.

A liar, cheat and sneak by nature, Joselle's insecurities prompt her to harm anyone who tries to befriend her.

While the description I wrote seems simplistic, actually, this book covers many complex issues. It is an ALA Notable Children's Book, a Publishers Weekly Best Book, one of the American Booksellers Association "Pick of the Lists" and a Library of Congress Children's Book of the Year.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Jun 14, 2012 |
  BRCSBooks | Oct 31, 2011 |
Although this book did not grab me from the beginning, it definitely had some quirky and unforgettable characters! Henkes does use unusual names that represent his characters. His main character, Blaze, reminds me of Wemberly in his picture books – characters who worry or are scared about things. I quite liked how the story turned out and was very touched that two seemingly different characters could become such great friends. For use in the classroom, I can imagine discussions about family relationships and death, but one of my favorite things that happened in the book was the therapeutic use of art. This is something that is discussed in my health textbook – how people use art to help them grieve and understand and I believe that was what Glenn and Blaze did. This book could also be a great discussion starter on friendships and the effects of lying. Overall, a very touching story that I think students would enjoy. I wonder, though, if male students would enjoy it as much as female students. ( )
  dahabdabbler | Mar 6, 2010 |
For Laura and Susan, with thanks to Gretchen, Tom, Jen, K.T., and Altie
Blaze Werla buried Ortman before breakfast.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140366016, Paperback)

Every year for the past five years since his mother's death, 10-year-old Blaze has buried an imaginary friend beneath a stone marker on a hill near his house. Every July he creates a new friend, hoping that this time his make-believe companion will help him overcome his phobias--fears that have plagued him since he lost his mother to cancer. One day Blaze discovers that someone has used his stone grave markers to spell out his mother's name, "Reena." Feeling frightened and spooked, he cannot fathom who or what could have written this tormenting word.

Unbeknownst to Blaze, young Joselle Stark has recently moved into her grandmother's nearby farmhouse after being abandoned by her self-centered mother. When Joselle hears about Reena's death, she feels darkly compelled to write disturbing messages to Blaze, using the stones she finds on the hill between them. In this book, as in his others, Kevin Henkes eloquently builds sympathy for the perpetrator as well as the victim, helping young readers understand the traumas and insecurities that cause people to lie and hurt others. When Joselle and Blaze eventually meet and become friends, Joselle hides the truth about the words she once wrote in stone. But when the lie is revealed, Henkes does not create a swift or easy resolution. Instead he becomes more graceful and paced in his writing--allowing the reader to savor the intricacies of betrayal, rejection, and reconciliation. ALA Notable Book, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Publishers Weekly Best Book, Horn Book Fanfare Honor List. (Ages 10 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Busy trying to deal with his many fears and his troubled feelings for his dead mother, ten-year-old Blaze has his life changed when he meets the boisterous and irresistible Joselle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,582,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible