dismiss

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald…

My Family and Other Animals (original 1956; edition 2004)

by Gerald Durrell (Author)

When the unconventional Durrell family can no longer endure the damp, gray English climate, they do what any sensible family would do: sell their house and relocate to the sunny Greek isle of Corfu. "My Family and Other Animals" was intended to embrace the natural history of the island but ended up as a delightful account of Durrell's family's experiences, from the many eccentric hangers-on to the ceaseless procession of puppies, toads, scorpions, geckoes, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, bats, and butterflies into their home.… (more)
Member:breic
Title:My Family and Other Animals
Authors:Gerald Durrell (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2004), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:nonfiction, memoir, animals, nature, pets

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (1956)

English (108)  Spanish (6)  Catalan (3)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (119)
Very charming, packed full of fun short stories.

> Another trick, out of which they got endless pleasure, was deluding the poor unfortunate flock of chickens, which spent the day scratching hopefully round the olive-groves. Periodically the maid would come to the kitchen door and utter a series of piping noises, interspersed with strange hiccoughing cries, which the hens knew was a signal for food, and they would assemble at the backdoor like magic. As soon as the Magenpies had mastered the chicken-food call they worried the poor hens into a decline. ( )
  breic | Mar 26, 2020 |
Viking Compass edition ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
this review is for the audiobook edition.

have you watched the durrells? they are a wacky delight! the BBC production is excellently cast, and it does a very good job of making you want to move to corfu and take up with the family.

but i had not read anything from any of the writerly durrells prior to watching the series. so i started here. while it's fine, of course the audiobook is a different beast. while the narration was okay, it got a bit chaotic at times - certainly that energy was representative of the stories being shared in this first instalment. it got a bit grating after a time. the personalities seem to have been softened for the TV series, though the underlying essence of gerald's family members were maintained. it would be very cool if the TV series cast recorded the audiobooks of gerald's memoirs. this is truly just my own inability to detach from the actors and their familiar voices, while listening to the different performers on the audiobook. ( )
1 vote Booktrovert | Mar 7, 2020 |
Written in the 50’s but still a fun book today! A memoir of the authors interesting life with his family and plenty of animals! ( )
  loraineo | Jan 25, 2020 |
A boy's ideal life, for Gerry Durrell's instance of a boy. Almost as much time as he would like to explore the fauna of Corfu in a lackadaisical and generous household. I enjoyed it, though the single note wasn't enough for me for the entire length of the book. ( )
  quondame | Dec 17, 2019 |

Harper, GeraldNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morpurgo, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pacey, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ullberg, MargaretaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It is a melancholy of mine own, compounded of many simples, extracted from many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness."--As You Like It
To My Mother
This is the story of a five-year sojourn that I and my family made on the Greek island of Corfu.
From that moment I guarded the nest jealously. I erected a protecting wall of rocks round it, and as an additional precaution I wrote out a notice in red ink and stuck it on a pole nearby as a warning to the family. The notice read: "BEWAR - EARWIG NEST - QUIAT PLESE." It was only remarkable in that the two correctly spelt words were biological ones.
Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquility, a timelessness, about it, so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colorful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality.
'But how did the scorpions get on the table, dear?’
'That bloody boy. . . . Every matchbox in the house is a deathtrap. . . . '
Mother, looking like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising, was dragged unwillingly to the nearest lamp-post by an exuberant Roger, and was forced to stand there, staring into space, while he relieved the pent-up feelings that had accumulated in his kennel.
My family and other animals is by Gerald (Malcolm) Durrell

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321873, 0141037474, 0241951461

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible