The Alchemy Of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

The Alchemy Of Stone (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Ekaterina Sedia

Mattie, an intelligent automaton skilled in the use of alchemy, finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between gargoyles, the Mechanics and the Alchemists. With the old order quickly giving way to the new, Mattie discovers powerful and dangerous secrets - secrets that can completely alter the balance of power in the city of Ayona.… (more)
Member:chr0me
Title:The Alchemy Of Stone
Authors:Ekaterina Sedia
Info:Prime Books (2008), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:speculative fiction, science fiction

The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (2008)

Open Me by Sunshine O'Donnell (bertilak)
    Rats and Gargoyles by Mary Gentle (bertilak)
    The Etched City by K. J. Bishop (rarm)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.

English (31)  Polish (1)  All languages (32)
This one reminded me of the China Mieville books that I've read. It's somewhat less grotesque and I really liked the clockwork girl alchemist protagonist. Everyone's looking for their own freedom in a stone city full of mechanics, alchemists and gargoyles. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Abandoned @ 11%. I'm just not finding it very interesting.
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
But there was something – maybe the very juvenile prose – that kept me from being entirely swept along with it. Perhaps it’s a failure to write strong relationships: I didn’t see Mattie’s connection to Sebastian at all. The one to her master, Loharri, was there and interesting, though I didn’t exactly feel that she was prepared to allow him to be harmed. However, there were plenty of interesting ideas – the gargoyles, use of blood alchemy were cool. It’s never exactly explained how Mattie’s mind/feelings work, though. I appreciate Sedia’s willingness to kill her character, though I was never particularly emotionally invested in her. ( )
  elucubrare | Feb 9, 2018 |
Best described as a character study of a sentient automaton. The love/hate relationship 'Mattie' has with her creator is fascinating and, at times, disturbing. A unique and interesting read. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Un romanzo innegabilmente bello, affascinante e ben scritto. Lo stile di Ekaterina Sedia è evocativo e accurato nel descrivere e narrare le vicende di Mattie, l'automa con il cuore e in grado di provare piacere e dolore, alle prese con la Guerra Civile che sconquassa la sua città.

Un romanzo che meriterebbe senza dubbio le quattro stelle, se solo fosse riuscito a conquistarmi. Tutta la precisione e la maestria stilista non potrà mai sopperire a "quel particolare", quell'aspetto del romanzo che, in barba a tutto, lo rende avvincente, interessante.

I personaggi sono interessanti, moltissimo, ma piatti. Sterili. Le vicende sono registrate "dall'alto", ma mancano di sentimenti in grado di creare una connessione con il lettore.

Un peccato. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Ekaterina Sediaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segal, Stephen H.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister
We scale the rough bricks of the building's facade. Their crumbling edges soften under our claw-like fingers; they jut out of the flat, adenoid face of the wall to provide easy footholds. We could've used fire escapes, we could've climbed up, up, past the indifferent faces of the walls, their windows cataracted with shutters; we could've bounded up in the joyful cacophany of corrugated metal and barely audible whispers of the falling rust shaken loose by our ascent. We could've flown.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,375,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible