Indelible by Karin Slaughter

Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:William Morrow (2004), Paperback
Tags:crime

Indelible by Karin Slaughter

English (32)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (36)
This was a very enjoyable read, but it did take me quite a while to get into the book with the two different stories from the different timelines. However once I did get into the book it was well worth it. It was good to find out more about the backstory of Jeffery and the early days of the Jeffrey and Sara story. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Indelible
4 Stars

A brutal attack on the Heartsdale police station leaves several officers dead, the Chief of Police, Jeffrey Tolliver, critically wounded and his ex-wife and town coroner, Dr. Sara Linton, taken hostage along with several children. As events unfold in Grant County, it soon becomes clear that they are inextricably linked to Sara and Jeffrey’s past and a crime they investigated in Jeffrey’s hometown of Sylacauga, Alabama. A crime that may have a lasting effect on their future …

Series note: This is the fourth installment in Slaughter’s Grant County series and it is necessary to read the first book for the backstory to Sara and Jeffrey’s current relationship.

The plot is comprised of three separate threads that come together to form a cohesive whole. 2/3s of the book are told via flashback and while the transitions between past and present are clear, the connections between the two time periods are not always obvious.

The mysteries are pretty straightforward and it is quite easy to figure out the culprits and their motivations. The focus, therefore, is on the characters and their development rather than the actual crimes.

Slaughter’s characters are definitely not of the warm and fuzzy variety. They are all deeply flawed and psychologically damaged, which makes it virtually impossible to like them as people. That said, it is precisely these very human characteristics that makes them so compelling and the stories surrounding them grab you by the throat and don’t let go.

In sum, Indelible is a fascinating character study that contributes significantly to fleshing out Sara and Jeffrey both as individuals and as a couple, and provides insight into their actions in previous books. It will be interesting to see what happens with them next.
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Indelible: not able to be forgotten or removed.

I'm still reeling from all the twists and turns in this book! I'm such an action junkie and Slaughter really delivers as she tells Jeffrey and Sarah's story in a series of flashbacks during a dangerous hostage situation. I've often wondered what made Jeffrey the man we see today. He's been a bit of a mystery until now. Seeing his background, I'm amazed that he was able to rise above it and become the guy he is. Yes, he's still flawed and I know a lot of us despise the cheating aspect that occurred before the first book, but it does help me understand him a little more. I have to agree with the others that don't care for Lena. She's still abrasive to me and as long as she's letting Ethan treat her like garbage, I'll have a hard time liking for her. Another fantastic thriller! I'm really looking forward to wrapping this series up and starting the Will Trent series! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This book was mostly about the backstory of Sara and Jeffery's past. Each book read makes you want to read the next one to find out what is going to happen to each of these characters. Karin Slaughter definitely can tell a good story. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It went back and showed us things that happened in the early stages of Sara and Jeffrey's relationship. They are one of my favorite literary couples, because they are like the rest of us. They are both so afraid of getting hurt, that they hurt each other without even trying. But you just know they love each other beyond reason, and they belong together. I'm kind of iffy on Lena at the moment. In a way, I feel sorry for her, and all she's been through, but at the same time, I just want her to pull herself up by the bootstraps, get away from that loser Ethan, and be the bad-ass cop we all know she can be. She's beginning to go that way by the end of this book, but she is still irritating as heck.
  cintay46 | Apr 17, 2014 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kolehmainen, AnnukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For D. A.
river deep, mountain high
"Well, look what the cat dragged in," Marla Simms bellowed, giving Sara a pointed look over her silver-rimmed bifocals.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060567112, Mass Market Paperback)

Medical examiner Sara Linton and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver make their fourth appearance in this riveting new back-and-forth thriller that grounds a brutal attack by two young men on the Grant County, Georgia police department in a twelve-year-old Alabama murder case that occurred while Sara and Jeffrey were just beginning their tumultuous romance. En route to a beach vacation shortly after they meet, the couple takes a detour to the small town where Jeffrey grew up and began his law enforcement career. But their carefree holiday is interrupted when his best friend from childhood, a fellow cop, is charged with murder after killing a man who broke into his house. Despite his subsequent confession, Jeffrey believes there’s more to the story than Robert is telling him, and when the skeleton of a young woman with whom both Robert and Tolliver were once involved is discovered in a secret cave only they knew about, and Robert admits to her murder too, Tolliver must again confront a past he thought he had long since put behind him.

Slaughter unravels a convoluted story deftly and smoothly as the action moves between those long-ago events and the siege of the police station by two young men who are determined to make Jeffrey pay for a crime they believe he committed. Threatening to kill whoever stands between them and their target--including eight children on a school field trip at the station house when the bloody siege begins--they execute a deputy they mistakenly believe is Tolliver. Skillfully blending past and present events and illuminating the equally convoluted relationship between Sara and Jeffrey (who have married and divorced in the intervening years) without interrupting the breathtaking pace of the action or dropping a beat, Slaughter takes this series to a new level of excellence. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:30 -0400)

Medical examiner Sara Linton finds herself at the center of a terrifying hostage crisis when as assailant shoots down a police officer and wounds sheriff Jeffrey Tolliver in the Grant County police station.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,460,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible