Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles) by Andre…

Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles) (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Andre Norton

Born in the desert to an exiled concubine and raised by dragons, Shana becomes a wizard of extraordinary power and leads a rebellion against the cruel elven empire ruled by her father.
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles)
Authors:Andre Norton
Info:Tor Books (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

The Elvenbane by Andre Norton (1991)

Best of the 3. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
A story of elves, dragons, mages and half elves/humans.

I really enjoyed this. While a bit shallow, I never felt like rolling my eyes or putting the book down.

I found it quite interesting to see dragons as tricksters and elves as the bad guys. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I'm dropping this book. Total snorefest. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
This was an interesting story. I don't think I've come across a story where elves are a conquering and evil race before this. It set a intriguing premise. Shana annoyed me a little bit, but then again she is a teenage character and has teenage impulses and desires. I'm not sure what part of this book was contributed by Lackey as the writing style and dark events didn't seem like her style. I'm assuming Norton contributed the majority of the plot and am interested in the author, whom I haven't come across before. This is the first of a trilogy and I'm sure I'll be continuing the series. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Feb 25, 2015 |
The world that the writing team of Norton and Lackey crafts is quite fascinating in its detail and description. The timeline and history of this world seems to place it sort of after the end of our present world, as a kind of post-apocalypse in which first the dragons found and then the elves, with the latter taking over and enslaving the remaining humans. I found the passage of time to be bothersome at times, since the authors seem to almost skip over the climaxes in favor of just relaying the information through the memories of the characters after the fact. More than once, I wished the writers could have written out this passage of time so that I can actually experience it as it happens.
The characters were all well-developed and unique, as the size of the book allowed the writers to spend lots of time focusing on a single character, even if his or her purpose seemed to end rather abruptly with death, such as Shana's mother, Serina Daeth. Normally, I have no trouble picking characters that I favored over the others, but with this book, no character seemed to jump out at me as so much better than the others, even the main character Shana, who seemed to lack in maturity as much as a pre-teen, with how she behaves around some of the other characters.
There were several over-arching themes in the book, such as the need for change, the call for justice, and how every rule has exceptions. Shana especially seemed to find the latter annoying as she continually found that what she was taught about elves, humans, or dragons was not always true. Even though the legend of the Elvenbane is merely a tall tale crafted by the dragons to stir up trouble with the elves and humans, Shana falls into the role by accident simply because of a dragon's kindness. Ironically, her up-bringing gives her the perfect personality for playing that role, as the main goal of this book was to put her in the perfect position to fill this role for the next book in the series, Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles). ( )
  JacobsBeloved | Jul 10, 2011 |

Vigesaa, AasneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated To:
The Fans
Past, Present and Future
Serina Daeth. I am -- Serina Daeth.

Two masters of epic fantasy have combined in this brilliant collaboration to create a rousing tale. This is the story of Shana, a half-breed born of the forbidden union of an Elvenlord father with a human mother. Her exiled mother dead, Shana was rescued and raised by dragons, a proud, ancient race who existed unbeknownst to elven or human kind. From birth, Shana was the embodiment of the Prophecy that the all-powerful Elvenlords feared. Her destiny is the enthralling adventure of a lifetime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,680,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible