THE HUSBAND by Dean Koontz

THE HUSBAND by Dean Koontz

We have your wife. You can get her back for two million cash. Landscaper Mitchell Rafferty thinks it must be some kind of joke. He was in the middle of planting impatiens in the yard of one of his clients when his cell phone rang. Now he's standing in a normal suburban neighborhood on a bright summer day, having a phone conversation out of his darkest nightmare.… (more)
Member:RJD61
Title:THE HUSBAND by Dean Koontz
Authors:
Info:Random House, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

The Husband by Dean Koontz

It was mediocre at best. Not at all deserving of all those good reviews. I definitely do not recommend it. ( )
  rachelbd43 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Good read, will make an interesting movie for sure... very intense at the end, with a quick come down... didn`t quite understand the whole New Mexico thing... I`ve read better Koontz.. also, what's up with the wind thing??? ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
I’m a huge Koontz fan but this one was not one of my favourites. I wanted to have a dog play a bigger role in the story and I wanted Mitch to be more vengeful toward his brother.
Mitch, a simple gardener, gets a phone call one day saying his wife Holly has been kidnapped and the ransom is 2 million dollars. Mitch does not have that kind of money but the kid appears instruct him to get it from his older brother. Unfortunately Ansen has NO interest in helping Mitch and even arranges his murder. Mitch evades the two men charged with killing him and sets out to find Ansen and get things straightened out. Mitch gets the money, evaded law enforcement and manages to kill the kidnapper and rescue Holly. We never really do find out any details as to what happens to Mitch when the whole story comes out. I would have liked to know if he had to give the money back. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jun 10, 2020 |
Quick read ( )
  jackiejjay | Mar 27, 2019 |
As Mitch is working at his landscaping job a sniper shoots a man who is walking his dog on the other side of the street. Mitch gets a phone call that completely changes his life. His wife has been kidnapped. The ransom is set at two million dollars and the shooting of the dog walker across the street from him is a warning that he had better get the money and not involve the police or he will never see his wife alive again. Mitch is not wealthy and has no idea where he will get the money that is due in seventy-two hours.

The plot spirals through a series of events that involve Mitch and his family, some illegal activities, and several shocking revelations until it reaches a somewhat entertaining conclusion.

The book is a quick read with characters that are not extremely well developed. The introduction of Mitch’s childhood and family background does add interest to the book. Sentence structure is short with a plethora of metaphors and similes that sometimes don’t necessarily enhance the story. If you want to read a run of the mill kidnapping story with some thrills and kills, this one may be for you.

Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, HolterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Söderlund, SabinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Courage is grace under pressure. (Ernest Hemingway)
That Love is all there is,
Is all we know of Love. . . . (Emily Dickinson)
This novel is dedicated to Andy and Anne Wickstrom, and to Wesley J. Smith and Debra J. Saunders: two good husbands and their good wives, also good friends, who always brighten the corner where they are.
A man begins dying at the moment of his birth.
Agitated spiders plucked silent arpeggios from their silken harps, and the wind was never silent.

A Soldier - His Prayer:

Stay with me God. The night is dark,
The night is cold: My little spark
Of courage dies. The night is long;
Be with me, God, and make me strong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,367,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible