The Sisters (1986)

by Robert Littell

An astonishing thriller from the author of "The Company" A classic among espionage aficionados, "The Sisters" features what the "New York Times" called the plot of plots. Centering on Francis and Carroll, two enigmatic and extremely dangerous CIA legends dubbed the Sisters Death and Night, "The Sisters" masterfully unveils an abyss of artful deception. By luring the Potter, a former head of the KGB sleeper school, into betraying his last and best assassin living secretly in the United States, Francis and Carroll set off a desperate race against time as the Potter tries to stop his protg from committing the Sisters exquisitely planned, world-shattering crime.… (more)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
Interesting historical thriller - a version of an alternative Kennedy Assassination. ( )
  fwbl | Jun 28, 2016 |
At first I thought that I wasn't going to like The Sisters by Littell but it began to get interesting and at about 50 pages in it became a page turner for me because I really wanted to know what came next. Saying much more without spoilers is a bit difficult; however, the Sisters is the nickname for a pair of CIA agents who became known as the sisters of Death and Night for their work there. Another pair are the Potter and the Sleeper, a Soviet trainer of sleepers and the one he considers his last and best trainee. There are also the two "Cousins", high in the Soviet spy hierarchy, and "the Canadians", a pair of Soviet agents working out of Canada. There are conspiracies and betrayals and road trips and Walt Whitman's poetry all leading to ... and that would be a major spoiler! I think I'll put this one back on the shelf.
  hailelib | Feb 14, 2016 |
Robert Littell's spy stories vary somewhat in quality. This story of 'The sisters Death and Night', Spy/Counterspy, sleepers and assassins is a solid B- in 'my' book! ( )
  jastbrown | May 18, 2011 |
A wonderfully nuanced story of a cold-war espionage chess game between the CIA and KGB with substantial consequences. The sisters are two CIA officers whose job is to concoct plots. They come up with what they consider the perfect crime, using the unwitting former head of the KGB sleeper school. Nothing is as it seems though and the plot is twisted enough to maintain suspense until the end. ( )
1 vote Hagelstein | Aug 2, 2010 |
A cold war spy thriller that takes place in the early 60s, The Sisters begins somewhat poorly, as the description of the title characters, a highly-placed, CIA odd couple, that makes up the first chapter is distractingly mannered in the telling. But as the storyline moves from these two screwy yet sinister fellows (yes, they are male, despite their nickname) and out into the storyline of the plot they set into action, the book, and the writing, pick up considerably. By about the 60-page mark I was very much into the tale. There are interesting and intelligent characters, and almost all of the plot twists are at least hinted at subtly beforehand, so there's no feeling of things just being inserted for convenience sake four fifths of the way through the plot line.

A high quality spy thriller for those who like the genre. I would not necessarily go out searching for more by Littell, as I don't read more than one or two such books per year, but if I were to stumble upon another book of his on a thrift store rack (which is where I found The Sisters), I might well pick it up. ( )
1 vote rocketjk | Aug 6, 2009 |

Robert Littellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Richardson, HiramCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my father, Leon Littell
"I'm just thinking out loud," Francis was saying.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,816,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible