How To Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on…

How To Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the… (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Daniel H. Wilson

6331915,308 (3.55)27
Member:jschonbr
Title:How To Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion
Authors:Daniel H. Wilson
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2005), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*****

How To Survive a Robot Uprising by Daniel H. Wilson (2005)

Cute. More of a coffee table read than read straight through. ( )
  clmerle | Jul 22, 2017 |
A humorous overview of technological developments in robotics...and how those developments will result in the annihilation of the human race. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A funny and interesting book, written as if robots were definitely going to revolt some time in the future. Of course, the author doesn't really think this will happen, but it's a good way to find out all about what's happening in the fields of robotics and [b:artificial intelligence|27543|Artificial Intelligence A Modern Approach (2nd Edition)|Stuart J. Russell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167881696s/27543.jpg|1362] today. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Robots are going to be amazing! They will drive for you, clean your house, cook you nice meals, and even tell you how awesome you are every day. Daniel Wilson, however, can foresee the danger of having hyper-intelligent all-powerful robot slaves - that they will organize...and rebel!

This is your guide for surviving that particular robot calamity. It teaches you how robots assess and react to their environment, and how you can use that to your advantage. And as a guide, it actually does a decent job of that. Hang on, I'm serious here. Daniel Wilson is actually has a Master's in Robotics, and is quite knowledgeable about the topic. The book, despite being listed as Humor, is informative about real-world robots and robotic technology, so there actually is an element of nonfiction here.

Unfortunately, in some ways that is also the book's downfall. Though the information is interesting, I was expecting something a bit more light and humorous, and the humor was a bit lacking. A book such as this is a platform for comedy, but there were 3 or 4 lines that made me chuckle throughout the book, and the rest was rather bland.

With that said, I'll still be reading How To Build a Robot Army next, so it wasn't completely terrible. ( )
  Ape | Jul 23, 2014 |
Daniel H. Wilson is a Ph.D. Candidate at the Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon University and holds a masters degree in robotics; so, it should come as no surprise that this book is intelligently written; but, what I personally found refreshing was the author's humour, which had a singular sardonic wit - very funny if you have a dark sense of humour as I do.

This book was, pleasantly, a lot less 'silly' than I expected. In fact, I found myself taking much of what I read at face value, and found myself considering taking the writing more seriously than I am sure the author intended. Still, it was nice to be able to suspend myself from reality for a couple of hours to consider how I would survive a robot uprising. :) ( )
  Sylak | Feb 22, 2014 |
"I'll be back" // The Terminator
"Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!" // Robot, Lost in Space
For Howard Wilson
If popular culture has taught us anything, it is that mankind must face and destroy the growing robot menace.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786144629, Audio Cassette)

How do you spot a robot mimicking a human? How do you recognize and deactivate a rebel servant robot? How do you escape a murderous “smart” house, or evade a swarm of marauding robotic flies? In this dryly hilarious survival guide, roboticist Daniel H. Wilson teaches worried humans the secrets to quashing a robot mutiny. From treating laser wounds to fooling face and speech recognition, outwitting robot logic to engaging in hand-to-pincer combat, How to Survive a Robot Uprising covers every possible doomsday scenario facing the newest endangered species: humans.

Based on extensive interviews with prominent scientists and including an overview of cutting edge robot prototypes like humanoid walkers, insect, gecko, and snake robots, this one-of-a-kind book makes a witty yet legitimate introduction to contemporary robotics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:02 -0400)

Presents a humorous guide to battling mutinous robots, including tips for deactivating rebel servant robots and escaping from a murderous "smart" house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,500,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible