Timothy Keller , The Reason for God: Belief…

Timothy Keller , The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (2008)

by Timothy Keller (Author)

Although a vocal minority continues to attack religious faith, for most Americans, faith is a large part of their lives: 86% of Americans refer to themselves as religious, and 75% of all Americans consider themselves Christians. So how should they respond to these passionate, learned, and persuasive books that promote science and secularism over religion and faith? For years, Tim Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced "doubts" skeptics bring to his Manhattan church; here, he dismantles each of them. Written with atheists, agnostics, and skeptics in mind, Keller also provides an intelligent platform on which true believers can stand their ground when bombarded by the backlash. This book challenges such ideology at its core and points to the true path and purpose of Christianity.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:Michael_J
Title:Timothy Keller , The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
Authors:Timothy Keller (Author)
Info:Dutton Adult; First Edition first Printing edition, 293 pages
Collections:

Work Information

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller (2008)

With more people pulling away from Christ, there has to be a NEED for God and the reasons the cross is so important.
  JourneyPC | Sep 26, 2022 |
(1) Barriers to spiritual reality (xii-xiii)
(2) C S Lewis' assessment of atheism (26)
(3) Dealing with objectionable or offensive texts (109)
(4) When is a theory considered empirically verified? (121)
(5) Moral convictions today (145)
(6) What is sin? (160) ***
(7) The significance of the cross (193)
(8) Questions for our struggling with Christianity (231)
(9) Slavery in first century Roman Empire (110) ( )
  jamesrrouse | Jul 5, 2021 |
A Popular, Easy accessible writing by Keller.

Most of the content, is response to popular conversation on this topic.

For Science & Religion, I'd recommend:

1. Divine Action Project, Religion and Science, Special Divine Action Project by Oxford University

2. My Review of McGrath, Science and Religion by Alistair McGrath

3. My Review of Professor Jerry A. Coyne's work, Jerry A. Coyne

Deus Vult,
Gottfried ( )
  gottfried_leibniz | Jun 25, 2021 |
awesome! ( )
  hoyd | Dec 13, 2020 |
Extreemly well written and understandable. It's taken me a long time to read and I feel I should start over again. You don't feel he is shoving theology down yout throat, but he is sitting next to you having a chat. Well reasoned and acceptable arguments. ( )
  GeoffSC | Jul 25, 2020 |
I could go on, but I do not want to undermine the good there is in Keller's book. No book apart from Scripture itself is perfect and so I want to commend Reason for God but note my concerns. But I am likely to hear the retort that Keller's way of doing apologetics is better than my way of not doing it. I would prefer to do apologetics in a way consistent with Scripture and my confessional commitment. Be that as it may, perfect book or not, Keller is to be commended for venturing out into the marketplace.
added by Christa_Josh | editWestminster Theological Journal, Jeffrey C. Waddington (Mar 1, 2009)

To Kathy, the Valiant
There is a great gulf today between what is popularly known as liberalism and conservatism.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,067,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible