Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps) by R.…

Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps) (edition 1993)

by R. L. Stine (Author)

Series: Goosebumps (7)

Lindy finds a ventriloquist's dummy and has fun learning to make him move and talk. Kris is jealous, and decides to get a dummy of her own. Then nasty evil things begin to happen. No way can a dummy be causing all the trouble. Or is there?
Member:SwiftLikeTaylor
Title:Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps)
Authors:R. L. Stine (Author)
Info:Scholastic (1993), 134 pages

Work Information

Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps) by R. L. Stine

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

It's kind of hard to rate this, cause it was just not meant for an adult reader. But read it I did to my 8-year-old daughter. Reading at night is one of our rituals. It was interesting to read the book that began Slappy. Who basically became the icon of Goosebumps. Even more interesting that the book really wasn't about Slappy at all. I thought this one was a bit too violent for a children's book. Even a middle grader. A pattern in the books is how long it takes for anything to really happen. That is starting to get a bit old for me. I would say a 3-star and my daughter would say a 5, so I'll split the difference and go with 4. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
That was fast... I remember being terrified of this book when I read it as a kid lol reading it as an adult sure changes perspective on a book.

I read it like I was watching a Goosebumps show - same vibe and everything I could picture it all playing out in my head, it was very different reading it like that. It was still creepy in a way, it was very fun nostalgia wise to read it. It was super quick and fun. Not at all scary like it was when I was a child reading it for the firs time and hiding it from view so I wouldn't have to look at the dummy face every time I looked at my book shelf. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |

Tags: Scary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Grade: 4th grade and up

Rating: 3.8

This book is one I recommend that people give a chance. Its creativity and easy to read text make for an enjoyable story. I think the fact that the author really pays attention to his audience and there demographic. Taking this into consideration allows for him to create a piece of writing specifically tailored to those most likely to read it. One thing I think that was well done with this story was the pace that the author took. He took time to build suspense and build anticipation for what was to come later in the text. Another thing I think that was done well was the character interaction. I sometimes read text and think that it is weird or unnecessary, but I think the way the characters where was very natural and they flowed well within the story itself.

I do not believe there is a real main idea of this story, it seems as though the author just created it for a good time. Something that people can just enjoy without some form of underlying meaning added to it. ( )
  Maurice21 | Oct 24, 2019 |

AR 3.7, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,534,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible