HomeGroupsTalkExplore

What Your Second Grader Needs to Know (1991)

by E.D. Hirsch Jr.

Series: Core Knowledge Series (book 2)

Give your child a smart start with the revised and updated What Your Second Grader Needs to Know What will your child be expected to learn in the second grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these all-important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that hundreds of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American second graders. Designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children, featuring a new Introduction, this second-grade volume of the Core Knowledge Series presents the knowledge and skills that should be at the core of a challenging second-grade education, including o Favorite poems-old and new, from oCaterpillarso to Gwendolyn Brooks's prizewinning oRudolph Is Tired of the Cityo o Literature-from around the world, with African folktales, American tall tales, European fairy tales, and classic myths from ancient Greece o Learning about language-the basic building blocks of written English, all explained with a touch of humor and common sense o World and American history and geography-visit Japan, explore ancient Greece, travel the Underground Railroad with Harriet Tubman o Visual arts-with activities and full-color illustrations of masterworks by El Greco, Van Gogh, Matisse, and others o Music-basic theory, great composers, instruments, and fun-to-sing songs such as oI've Been Working on the Railroado and oDo-Re-Mio o Math-challenging lessons ranging from telling time to doing fractions, numbers to 100, and a first look at geometry o Science-the cycle of life and the seasons, levers and magnets, the wonder of the human body, and more, with lots of hands-on activities and stories about famous scientists… (more)

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Fundamentals of good 2nd grade education
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
It is wonderful how each book in the series expands each subject without a huge review of the prior year's lessons. Each section starts by reminding the child of what he already learned or knows and then adds to it. When I came across Longfellow's poem "Paul Revere's Ride", I realized that I had never had to read this in school, or if I had, I remembered only the first line and the line 'one/ if by land, and two, if by sea" in the first stanza. I had no idea whether the signal had been one or two lights! [Turns out that it was 2.] It's a wonderful poem, full of movement and excitement. I can imagine a class acting out this poem with a narrator and props. Anyway, I feel like I got to fill in some gaps of my own (ha!)

I think, overall, this book is good for checking that there are no big gaps in your child's education and this book is really just the minimum. It is not a complete curriculum nor is it a textbook, but the basics that should be expected from any child at this grade. The Montessori curriculum that my daughter had at her school covers pretty much all of this and more, which I think would be true for any really decent school. ( )
  Marse | Oct 30, 2016 |
I used to think we needed a checklist to validate educational progress. Although this did convey the level of understanding, it very quickly turned me off from the Core Knowledge approach to education. The first impression matches what we see in most modern textbooks. The fonts are big, the topics arbitrary, and the treatment simplistic. With text like this for children and their mentoring parents (how many !'s does one need?), it's no wonder our educational establishment is in trouble. Get your breadth children. Cover all topics enough to have a working understanding. But don't get it from here. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 11, 2008 |
I didn't read this cover-to-cover, but flipped throught it to get an idea of how closely my son's knowledge matched up with what the author feels he should have known, by this age. (The answer; pretty good. We'd read several of the fiction selections already, and he was on track as regards math. Way ahead in some other areas, although his knowledge of American history is a bit lacking by the author's standards, but that's because I've focused more on world history when we were homeschooling).

This appears to be a good book, one which could be used as a guideline for a curriculum, perhaps even an entire curriculum, with some supplemental materials. ( )
1 vote herebedragons | Sep 20, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

To Sofia, who will enter second grade in the year 2004.
In the Core Knowledge books for kindergarten and first grade, we described some features of an effective reading and writing program in schools.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,266,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible