Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Crimson Spell, Vol. 1 (1) by Ayano Yamane

Crimson Spell, Vol. 1 (1) (edition 2013)

by Ayano Yamane (Author)

Series: The Crimson Spell (1)

The curse of the magical crimson sword has turned Prince Bald into a monster... To break the spell, he sets out on a journey with the sexy and gorgeous magician, Havi. Bald has no idea that when he turns into a beast at night, Havi uses his unique talents to pacify his beastly appetite... The luscious journey of Bald and Havi begins.… (more)
Member:MexiMutt
Title:Crimson Spell, Vol. 1 (1)
Authors:Ayano Yamane (Author)
Info:SuBLime (2013), 200 pages
Tags:Manga

Work Information

The Crimson Spell, Volume 1 by Ayano Yamane

It is so great to read such wonderful work. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
It is so great to read such wonderful work. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Another ViZ book, another time I knock stars off for their removal of the Japanese SFX and insertion of goofy looking and jarring English ones.

The book itself is typical yaoi fare. However this time Vald gets raped whenever he's in his demon form. It still counts since Halvir hasn't told him anything and of course Vald can't consent in that form.
Overall the story minus this isn't bad, but it looks like it goes on for more than one book and, well it's the kind of story that could be told in one maybe two books. ( )
1 vote Maverynthia | Sep 2, 2016 |
Review - added to The Crimson Spell 2 version. ( )
  sharrow | Jan 6, 2010 |
The story of a prince cursed with turning into a demon at night or when angry, seeking out the help of a sorcerer to lift the curse (who unbeknownst to the main character has sex with his demon form every night in order to calm him. and for fun, of course). This one seems to have a lot of praise. While this is far from a favorite for me, I can at least see why. While I didn't find the art particularly original or striking in a stylistic way, it is quite pretty and detailed. The story is sword and sorcery fantasy all the way, with curses, ancient temples, baddies waiting around the corner to attack, strange cuddly familiars, wizards, mystic villages and all the rest. If this were a novel, I'd roll my eyes and say, "So what?" But settings like this aren't as dime a dozen in manga as they are in novels, much less BL, so any fan of this genre or anyone hoping for a change up from the usual school/work place setting of a lot of yaoi can't help but be pleased. Top it off with a little humor and some explicit sex, and I've guess you've got yourself set up for a ride most fans will simply adore.

Unfortunately, while refreshing to see in manga, this kind of setting and plot is still damn cliche unless you've got other aspects in your story to make it come alive and into its own. Also, I don't give a crap about sex unless I give a crap about characters, and the ones in this series are pretty much as ho-hum as you can get. Likable, I suppose, but with pretty shallow representations. The cocerer is a little standoffish but still pretty nice, the prince is friendly, and the two get along well from the start save a little tension now and then when one or the other feels a little exasperated. Their interactions are, in short, somewhat bland. The author doesn't even bother to explore how exactly a guy might treat or think differently of someone who he's been secretly fucking every night. Heck, the author could have even made up some reason to say the wizard character couldn't remember the night's events any better than the prince. At least that way his completely unaffected attitude would have made SENSE. There isn't really much in the way of romantic or intimate moments besides the sex, either. Though actually, while this first disappointed me, I reminded myself this was more a fantasy story than a romance (with gratuitous sex, of course), so I shouldn't condemn that aspect of it too much.

In the end, I think the fantasy setting is the most stand-out aspect of this title. Still, it's also pretty unashamedly a CLICHE fantasy setting (and plot), and while those can still be enjoyable, they need another aspect to make it stand out. But the romance/relationship aspect is too sparse, along with the humor aspect, and the characters too under explored for any of those to hold the title up on its own.

...Of course we all know the real answer. This isn't romantic fantasy, this isn't humorous fantasy, and it isn't character driven fantasy. It's pr0n fantasy. And I guess when you look at it that way, maybe it does succeed. Still, does cliche pr0n fantasy deserve full stars? Methinks not. Nor does this being perhaps good pr0n fantasy warrant the way other reviewers seem to enjoy praising the characterization and writing when those are simply NOT the strengths of this title. ( )
2 vote narwhaltortellini | Jan 19, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,308,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible