Writing the Other (Conversation Pieces…

Writing the Other (Conversation Pieces Volume 8) (edition 2005)

by Cynthia Ward (Author)

Many writers avoid creating characters of different ethnic backgrounds than their own out of fear that they might get it wrong. To address this fear, Nisi Shawl and Cynthia Ward collaborated to develop a workshop that addresses these problems with the aim of both increasing writers’ skill and sensitivity in portraying difference in their fiction as well as allaying their anxieties about “getting it wrong.” Writing the Other: A Practical Approach is the manual that grew out of their workshop. It discusses basic aspects of characterization and offers elementary techniques, practical exercises, and examples for helping writers create richer and more accurate characters with “differences.”… (more)
Member:Kaethe
Title:Writing the Other (Conversation Pieces Volume 8)
Authors:Cynthia Ward (Author)
Info:Aqueduct Press (2005), 122 pages
Tags:to-read

Writing the Other: A Practical Approach by Cynthia Ward

Short, helpful rundown of the basics. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Jan 25, 2021 |
I read this story in brief spurts, and then read the main section a second time in about a day. The book is an interesting read. If you've spent any time at all on tumblr, or any of the numerous social awareness websites some of this will seem fairly tame and "well duh." Regardless it's a good, basic read through that offers up both new, and common sense ideas. I will admit that one of the things I took away from it was a sureness that adding "the Other" to my writing is okay, done properly of course. That's something I worry about as a white, cis female writer, but I'm also dead set against writing a make believe, all white, all cis, all straight cast. That's not what the world looks like, and I might be writing fantasy, but that's zero excuse to whitewash every bit of it.

This is definitely a book I'll keep and refer back to as I edit, etc. A good one for a writer's book case. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
Very helpful, just not long enough. ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
A bit too 101 on the subject but the exercises earn it the fourth star. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is good and probably very helpful to others - maybe even very helpful to me sometime in the future - but it's also very reliant on exercises. I have trouble with exercises, in general: partly because I'm impatient and want to hurry through the book, and partly because for me exercises work better if I can integrate them into my current work somehow, and as of reading this I'm in the midst of a bout of earthquake-induced writer's block so, well. Something to come back to and try another time. ( )
  zeborah | Jan 1, 2018 |

Cynthia Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shawl, Nisimain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my mother, who knows more about writing than I can get her to admit to. --Nisi /
To Joe. --Cynthia
Why us? First and foremost, because we are writers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,061,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible