The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton

The Great Train Robbery (original 1975; edition 1975)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

In teeming Victorian London, where lavish wealth and appalling poverty live side by side, Edward Pierce charms the most prominent of the well-to-do as he cunningly orchestrates the crime of the century. Who would suspect that a gentleman of breeding could mastermind the daring theft of a fortune in gold? Who could predict the consequences of making the extraordinary robbery aboard the pride of England's industrial era, the mighty steam locomotive? Based on fact, as lively as legend, and studded with all the suspense and style of a modern fiction master, here is a classic caper novel set a decade before the age of dynamite--yet nonetheless explosive....… (more)
Member:DanParson
Title:The Great Train Robbery
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Knopf (1975), Edition: 1, 266 pages

The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton (1975)

The First Great Train Robbery [1979 film] by Michael Crichton (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: If you enjoy the novel, the film is a must - and vice versa. Crichton wrote the screenplay and directed himself. There are plenty of changes, but all of them work well on the screen. Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland are perfect in the leading roles, as is everybody in the large supporting cast. The production design is not the most lavish possible, but that's a minor defect.… (more)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
I knew I had loved this one upon first reading it some years ago. While different from Crichton’s usual fare, it is captivating, fun reading, a story both well told and well developed. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
This was a great book. Easy to read and understand and I was on the edge of my seat most of the time to see how the robbers fared. Wonderful read! ( )
  bcrowl399 | Oct 11, 2020 |
A perfectly fine thriller that's clearly written to make you sympathize with the criminals. Nothing wrong with that, but there are a few moments where the tone is odd (the main character has someone killed fairly heartlessly who you were previously encouraged to root for). Worth a read during a global pandemic but their are better heist plots out there. ( )
  Jthierer | Aug 21, 2020 |
I was cleaning out my bookshelf when I came across this. I'd never read it. I have now and it's really a nice read. Crichton, who's style I admire - it's just his plots that usually don't interest me, paints a wonderful picture of mid-18th century London as he describes how this famous robbery was pulled together, how it happened and what happened after. It's just a good read. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
The cherrypicking of data that Crichton so loves to do was a bit embarrassing to witness (for God's sake, he is a grown man), but if you ignore that I think this book can be considered diverting. ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Capriolo, EttoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satan is glad-when I am bad,
And hopes that I-with him shall lie
In fire and chains- and dreadful pains
-Victorian Child's Poem, 1856
I wanted the money.
-Edward Pierce, 1856
To Barbara Rose
Intro:

It is difficult, after the passage of more than a century, to understand the extent to which the train robbery of 1855 shocked the sensibilities of Victorian England.
Forty minutes out of London, passing through the rolling green fields and cherry orchards of Kent, the morning train of the South Eastern Railway attained its maximum speed of fifty-four miles per hour.
Satan is blij - met een stoute mij En hoopt dat ik - mijn wonden lik In zwavel en azijn - en afschuwelijke pijn. (Victoriaans kinderversje, 1856)

"Ik wilde het geld hebben." (Edward Pierce, 1856)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,300,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible