The Forgery of Venus: A Novel by Michael…

The Forgery of Venus: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Michael Gruber (Author)

Having inherited his father's considerable artistic talents but unable to find buyers for his works, Chaz Wilmot accepts a commission to restore an antique fresco in a European castle, a job that brings unexpected success and a sinister offer.
Member:Jemalu
Title:The Forgery of Venus: A Novel
Authors:Michael Gruber (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber (2008)

DNF
  bookczuk | Oct 27, 2019 |
Reminds me a bit of The Magus, both for the cool ideas it plays with and for the creakiness of the basic plot. But as with the Magus, I find myself willing to suspend my skepticism and just enjoy the play. ( )
  ehines | Jun 1, 2019 |
Gruber's Forgery of Venus is a story that demands a bit of suspension of reality. The main character experiences time-travel, or psychotic episodes, that transport him back to the 1600s and 1700s in Europe. We travel through the worlds of art forgery, great painters, the stolen artworks during the Holocaust, and more. I enjoyed listening to Chaz tell his story. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
I'm going to have to re-read this when my head's not addled with cough syrup and prednisone, although it provided a nice parallel to the central character's experience. I'm left not knowing what was real, what imagined, and I'm not sure what share of that ambiguity is actually in the text. ( )
  Laurelyn | Oct 20, 2017 |
A talented but not successful artist is manipulated in forging a painting in the artistic style of the 17th century Spanish artist Velazquez. During this endeavor, he appears to time travel and embody the famous artist or is it insanity? ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is the kind of book that could easily become ludicrous and boring if it had been written by an author less talented than Gruber. His richly developed characters and engaging prose keep the story crisp and believable.

"Art, culture, history and deception are the tantalizing plot elements at the center of Michael Gruber's exhilarating new novel, The Forgery of Venus."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Carol Memmott (Apr 16, 2008)

Michael Gruberprimary authorall editionscalculated
conger, ericNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So with the faulty image as a start
We come at length to analyse and name
The Luminous darkness in the depths of art:
The timelessness that holds us is the same
As that of the transcendent sexual glance
And art grows brilliant in the light it sheds,
Direct or not, on the inhabitants
Of our imagination and our beds.
--Robert Conquest, "The Rokeby Venus"
For E. W. N.
"I'll lay a bet," said Sancho, "that before long there won't be a tavern, roadside inn, hostelry, or barber's shop where the story of our doings won't be painted up; but I'd like it painted by the had of a better painter than painted these."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible