1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12

by Thomas W. Phelan

The #1 child discipline book. Being a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences in life, but every family faces challenges that can be frustrating and overwhelming. For more than twenty-five years, internationally renowned clinical psychologist Thomas W. Phelan's 1-2-3 Magic has helped millions of parents, teachers, and caregivers raise independent, emotionally intelligent children and build happier, healthier families-all through an easy-to-understand program that you'll swear "works like magic." 1-2-3 Magic helps you discipline and set limits for your children by breaking down the complex task of parenting into straightforward steps. You'll find tools to use in virtually every situations, including advice for common problems such as: Whining, Sibling rivalry, Reluctance to do chores or pick up, Refusing to bed or getting up in the middle of the night. Parents all over the world have rebooted their families and their lives with 1-2-3 Magic. Learn the effective way to be a better, more loving, and more consistent parent, and start enjoying your child again-today!.… (more)

Explores a discipline technique that is a combination of time-out, consequences and counting to three. It looks at STOP! behaviors (things you want your child to stop doing) and START! behaviors (things you want your child to learn how to do). Selected Reading Questionnaire.
  ACRF | May 14, 2021 |
I'd give the techniques at least 4/5 stars, but the presentation leaves much to be desired. Put succinctly, this book's origin as a pamphlet is obvious. It should be rewritten from scratch or at least heavily edited. I would have organized the material much differently, possibly arranging techniques, advice, and tips according to age groups. Even so, the content is quite good. ( )
  FunkyDung | Mar 14, 2018 |
I can totally do the keeping quiet and not being emotional part (it seems in line with what I know about reinforcing behavior: don't overreact to negative behavior, because it's still a reaction, which is what they're after), but I'm curious about the whole "time out" system because I didn't grow up with that. So do I do what my parents did (corporal punishment) because, from my experience, it's effective? Or do I try out this new, foreign method and hope the child psychologists are right? Something I hope I won't have to think about until a good few years later. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Where was this book 4 years ago? It needs to be sent home with the child from the hospital! I wish I had a video camera when my son cried out, "Mom pleeease stop counting",! I knew then that it works!! Thank you hopefully morning and evening routines will be a little bit more peaceful and enjoyable around this home! ( )
  April44 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I have known about this method of discipline for several years, but have only just gotten around to reading the book in regards to implementing the entire strategy. This strategy works wonders with my children. The only thing that I question about this book is that the cover implies that this can be used for children over 2. Since I currently have a 2 year old, I tend to disagree that this strategy works with a child so young. I would feel confident that it would start to work with a 3 year old, but 2 is just too young. Otherwise, if you are at your wits end over how to discipline your children effectively, then this is the book you need. ( )
  amme_mr | Jul 13, 2015 |
Should you spank a child? It's about time that people face up to reality: ninety-nine percent of all spankings are parental temper tantrums. They are in no way attempts to train or educate a child. They are simply the angry outburst of a parent who has lost control, doesn't know what to do and wants revenge by inflicting pain. Parents who have big problems with self-control and anger management try to justify and rationalize spanking by saying things like, "You have to set limits," "It's for their own good," and "Having to hit these kids hurts me more than it does them." It's true that there are cultures and groups where spanking is more often perceived as a legitimate discipline technique. But research tells us that physical discipline like this tends to generate anxiety in children, lower their self-esteem and make the kids more likely to become aggressive themselves. Generally speaking, though, adults who spank do not care one bit about research. I have on occasion talked til I'm blue in the face with parents like these, and, sadly enough, changing their opinions and discipline habits is often a lost cause.
The whole point of the 1-2-3 counting program is to avoid the Talk-Persuade-Argue-Yell-Hit routine."

The book offers a simple, effective parenting program for raising happy, well-behaved children.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,820,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible