Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold! (Magic Kingdom…

Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold! (Magic Kingdom of Landover series Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Terry Brooks (Author)

3,883612,292 (3.61)1 / 107
Ben Holiday purchases the magical kingdom of Landover for a million dollars only to learn that Iron Mark, lord of the demons, expects him to fight a duel to the death.
Member:TBWeber
Title:Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold! (Magic Kingdom of Landover series Book 1)
Authors:Terry Brooks (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2008), 385 pages

Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD! by Terry Brooks

The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (wolfjack)
    wolfjack: I believe anyone who enjoys a light read involving those of our world entering a fantasy land of magic and battle will also love this book.
    A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)
    A Princess of Landover by Terry Brooks (Scottneumann)
    The Warriors by Joel Rosenberg (wolfjack)
    Hard Sell by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)
    The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)
1980s (292)

Decent, serviceable young adult fantasy. Is mostly comprised of tropes, though. Young strapping affluent intellectual male suffering from a loss (the loss being a woman, of course) finds a magical fantasy kingdom he can escape his lingering feelings of loss (by falling in love with a sprite who is destined to love him and ignores his protests at the beginning.)

The book is well paced ... they list a bunch of challenges he needs to do to prepare his rule in the new kingdom, there's a big bad battle he anticipates needing these challenges solved for, and by the last challenge or two he has his epiphany. There were no lagging spots.

Don't expect parts of this book to stick, and if you identify with the main character you'll feel a bit of basic motivation, but at the end of the day it's still a power fantasy with an pleasantly non-memorable land and set of supporting characters.
  NaleagDeco | Dec 13, 2020 |
I really liked this book,for me I found it entertaining from start to finish.

This is my 2nd review,the 1st time I read it was 30 years ago.
I do think the book was better this time.It was a little slow in the beginning,but to be expected for the backstory on the character.But after he gets to Landover things really pick-up.From one adventure to the next it was a very entertaining read. ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
Light fantasy. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
all is not as advertised in Landover. kingdom is in shambles, can the new owner save it?
  ritaer | Mar 19, 2020 |

Brooks, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Witch of the North seemed to think for a time, with her head bowed and her eyes upon the ground. Then she looked up and said, "I do not know where Kansas is, for I have never heard that country mentioned before. But tell me, is it a civilized country?"

"Oh, yes," replied Dorothy.

"Then that accounts for it. In the civilized countries I believe there are no witches left, nor wizards, nor sorceresses, nor magicians. But, you see, the Land of Oz has never been cvilized, for we are cut off from all the rest of the world. There we still have witches and wizards amongst us."

L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz
For Kennard, Vernon, Bill, John and Mike

It happened something like this...
The catalog was from Rosen's, Ltd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,546,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible