The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

The Monster of Florence (edition 2009)

by Douglas Preston (Author)

New York Times bestselling author Douglas Preston teams up with Italian investigative journalist Mario Spezi to present a gripping account of crime and punishment in the lush hills surrounding Florence, Italy. The Monster of Florence is a remarkable and harrowing story involving murder, mutilation, and suicide--and at the center of it, Preston and Spezi are caught in a bizarre prosecutorial vendetta.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:sandypiper
Title:The Monster of Florence
Authors:Douglas Preston (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir by Amanda Knox (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The same public prosecutor in Perugia brought charges is at the center of both the Monster of Florence and Meredith Kercher murder investigations.
    The Sunday Woman by Carlo Fruttero (ehines)
    ehines: Very different books in terms of tone--one a rather disturbing true-crime, the other a sardonic murder mystery. But both have some interesting insights into late 20th-century Italy.
    The Innocent Man by John Grisham (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: True stories of corruption in the justice system. The Monster of Florence is about the search for a serial killer in Italy, The Innocent Man is a man falsely convicted and on death row.

English (99)  Dutch (1)  All languages (100)
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, and this book is one of those. It's based on Italy's Jack the Ripper, a serial sex killer in the 1970's - 1980's around Florence, Italy. Apparently, the case of the Monster of Florence formed the basis of the Hannibal Lecter character. The author tells his story of how he became aware of the story of the Monster of Florence while he was living in Italy, and gradually became involved in the story and trying to determine the identity of the killer over time. Preston does a good job of covering the story and keeping interest, especially given that there is no satisfactory concluding chapter since the killer was never conclusively identified. But the author does present information on who he and his Italian collaborator feel was the true Monster of Florence. The book also makes you feel that for all its flaws, it appears that you're better off finding justice in the U.S. court system than under the Italian judicial system.

rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Just what are "snacking friends" up to?

This true crime book, published in 2008 details the the investigation of a string of murders which took place on the outskirts of Florence (my second favorite city in Italy, Venice being #1!) from 1974 through 1985. The crimes have never been solved, although there have been several prosecutions and subsequent releases of suspects thought to be the serial killer, dubbed "Il Mostro di Firenze" or "The Monster of Florence".
he book is chock full of characters that if put in a work of fiction, would not seem to fit in the same book... Prince Roberto Corsini ( a murder victim from one of the oldest families in Florence and purported Monster of Florence), Count Niccolo Capponi ( military historian from an ancient Florentine family), Mario Spezi, (journalist /crime investigator extraordinaire ,also purported Monster of Florence), Doug Preston, (author of many crime novels, purported accomplice to Spezi), Pietro Pacciani, (incestuous child rapist, purported Monster), Mario Vianni, (retired postman, and suspected accomplice to Pacciani) , as well as several Sardinian balenti (brigands), a couple of "village idiots" and an alcoholic prostitute, and hostile incompetent investigators (akin to the Keystone Cops), an orgiastic sex ring, and supposed satanic cult!
To read more, click here to read my blog: https://tinyurl.com/y34ggsrb ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
A fascinating look at what can happen to a police investigation if the mentality of a nation gets in the way. Conspiracy theories, wild accusations, bureaucracy, broken justice system – everything played its part in the Monster of Florence case.

I mean, one Italian journalist jailed, one American writer deported, and countless other people’s lives ruined, because Italy is… fundamentally Italian, I suppose. ( )
  tetiana.90 | May 2, 2020 |
I listened to this book on audio.

It was a fairly interesting listen, the narrator had a nice Italian accent that contributed a lot to my enjoyment of this novel. It's the horrible story of a serial killer in Florence, Italy. One whose identity remains a mystery to this day.

I learned that Italian police procedures are not reliable and they are unlike anything that we hear about in the U.S. I also learned that the Italian police and investigators do not require the same types of evidence that we do to obtain warrants or to interrogate people. This book made me very glad to be a U.S. citizen.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable "read"- quite different from anything I've read from Douglas Preston before. Sadly, the real killer was probably laughing at the police as they were interrogating Mr. Preston and Mr. Spezi. He is probably still laughing right now, if he's still alive. Just the thought of a killer like that being free is chilling. If you read this book, you will be chilled as well. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
I'm not a true crime person. I listened to this because my husband loves it and wanted to share it with me. With that said, I enjoyed it more than I expected. It's an interesting story though I had trouble working past feeling a bit Roman-at-the-Colesseum at playing audience to a real horrors for pleasure. If you're a fan of the genre, I think you might find this to your liking.

Regarding the specific audio book edition I heard, I didn't like the Italian accents the narrator used. Actually, there was something about his voice as a whole that I just didn't like, but I really didn't like it when he did Italian accents. Sometimes I just respond poorly to certain voices for reasons that are beyond me, so don't take that as a statement on the quality of his reading or accents.

Also, I have much less interest in visiting Italy now. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Feb 19, 2020 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spezi, Mariomain authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutsikaris, DennisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Danchin, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volk, KatharinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my partners in our Italian adventure: my wife, Christine, and
my children Aletheia and Isaac. And to my daughter Selene, who
wisely kept her feet planted firmly in America.
—Douglas Preston

A mia moglie Myriam e a mia figlia Eleonora,
che hanno scusato la mia ossessione.
—Mario Spezi
In 1969, the year men landed on the moon, I spent an unforgettable summer in Italy.

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446581194, 044650534X, 160024209X, 0446581275, 1600246648

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,388,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible