Up Till Now: The Autobiography by William…

Up Till Now: The Autobiography (original 2008; edition 2008)

by William Shatner, David Fisher

In this touching and very funny autobiography, William Shatner reveals the man behind these unforgettable moments, and how he's become the worldwide star and experienced actor he is today.
Member:runesmith
Title:Up Till Now: The Autobiography
Authors:William Shatner
Other authors:David Fisher
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages

Up Till Now by William Shatner (Author) (2008)

Deliberately cheesy, funny, forthright memoir of a cheesy, hammy, funny, Falstaffian character / person / actor. I cannot imagine reading this as a book; hearing it as a Shatner-narrated audiobook is just right, with lots of out-loud laughs. ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
What did I think? I thought it was boring. I had high hopes of some Capt Kirk insights or some Denny Crane odd-ball humor or some scoop on James Spader or Leonard Nimoy. But no. It was ..... boring. It read like a resume of his career and it's been a full career. I swear he's appeared in every TV show, every play, every C movie! So the reader gets a list of programs, complete with synopsis and maybe, if you're lucky, an anecdote or two.

The chapters are interspersed with 'commercials' referring you to his website where any number of Shatner things are available for purchase. (this IS done with tongue-in-cheek, but ultimate does send you to his website)

There were a few gems of thoughtful quotes scattered here and there: "I’ve come to realize that among those things I most value about life is the joy of discovery. Whether it’s the taste of food or wine, the taste of friendship, of the woman I love, of an adventure, or the taste of the thrill – all are wonderful tastes of life. I know that the people who live the longest and the richest lives are looking ahead and not behind. So I immerse myself in new experiences; I dive as often as possible into the river of life. I don’t understand the concept of retirement. It’s not a bad thing to savor your memories, it can be wonderful and warming, but not at the cost of losing your excitement about the future." I happen to really like this quote and the feeling behind it. More people should embrace this philosophy!

I read this for the 'autobiography' category of my 2015 reading challenge and wouldn't recommend it unless you *REALLY* want to know every show/play he's ever appeared in! :) ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I wasn't quite sure if I would like this or not, since Star Trek is one of my favorite shows. But Shatner does a good job in reading the book. I am somewhat surprised that he only mentioned in passing the monumental problems that were supposed to have taken place when the Star Trek TV series was being filmed. It is common knowledge that there were many instances of the other cast members hating and despising Shatner during this time for things that were real and possibly imagined. But I digress. This is not his first rodeo into this type of book, so he may well have addressed it in a previous work. I do not know.
I must say that this is an enjoyable trek through his life as he goes from barely making ends meet when he first started acting to being quite well off once we get past Star Trek the series and into more lucrative roles. Plus it goes into his marriages and all the pitfalls of some of the wives he has had over time. Definitely worth the time to read or listen to. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Pretty dry. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I loved this book. His story is fascinating and entertaining. After reading it last year, I Netflix'd the first season of Boston Legal and got hooked (no plan for T.J. Hooker, though). He's larger than life and quite candid, discussing his marriages, relationships with Star Trek costars, and his more than 50 year career. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

Shatner, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fisher, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wortmann, ThorstenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I've written several books and many other things, and always cherished the dedication. In fact, one can riffle through my life based on the various people or, indeed, events that surrounded my time on this planet. But up to now, I have never acknowledged my father and my mother...my dear, hardworking, caring, loving dad, and my funny, frustrated, gentle mother. All that I am or might've been is their due. I bow with great humility in their direction.
I was going to begin my autobiography this way: Call me...Captain James T. Kirk or Sergeant T. J. Hooker or Denny Crane Denny Crane or Twilight Zone plane passenger Bob Wilson or the Big Giant Head or Henry V or the Priceline Negotiator or...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,489,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible