The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western…

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Politically Incorrect Guides) (edition 2008)

by Anthony Esolen

Everything you should know--but PC professors won't teach--about Western heritage. Western civilization is the envy of the globe. It has given to the world universally accepted understandings of human rights (rooted in Judeo-Christian principles), created standards for art, music, and literature that have never been equaled, and originated political and social systems that have spread all across the planet. Political correctness now obscures these and other truths about Western civilization. Leftists and Islamic jihadists find common cause in assailing Western "colonialism," "imperialism," and "racism" as its defining characteristics. Guilt-ridden Western leaders and public figures speak of their cultural patrimony in disparaging terms they would never dare to use about a non-Western culture. And in universities, "multicultural"-minded professors flatter students into believing they have nothing really to learn from Sophocles or Shakespeare. But now, Professor Anthony Esolen--one of the team-teachers of Providence College's esteemed Development of Western Civilization Core Curriculum--has risen to the West's defense. The Politically Incorrect Guide(TM) to Western Civilization takes on the prevailing liberal assumptions that make Western civilization the universal whipping boy for today's global problems - and introduces you to the significant events, individuals, nations, ideas, and artistic achievements that make Western civilization the greatest the world has ever known. Today, defending the West has become an urgent imperative: if we don't value what we have and what we have inherited, we will surely lose it. The Politically Incorrect Guide(tm) to Western Civilization is an essential sourcebook for that defense.… (more)
Member:pertinax
Title:The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Politically Incorrect Guides)
Authors:Anthony Esolen
Info:Regnery Publishing (2008), Paperback, 256 pages

Work Information

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization by Anthony Esolen

Anthony Esolen’s entry in the ‘PIG’ series of ‘politically incorrect guides’ takes on the granddaddy of them all: it’s the PIG to western civilization itself.

With such a daunting and crucial task at hand, Esolen is a marvel. He’s erudite, witty, bold and so, so right about the myriad ways in which the glories of the West, from the Greeks to the Romans to Jews to the Middle Ages to the present day, have been suppressed or undermined by quislings within.

In just over 300 sparkling pages, Esolen plays Virgil to the open-minded reader -- now cajoling, now challenging, now simply opening windows to allow fresh air and light long excluded to flow back into the room.

The elegance and yes, beauty of Esolen’s work here is in danger of being obscured by the series’ insalubrious title and the book’s rather garish cover. Don’t let this put you off. Although this is a perfect gift for university or graduate students, it’s a work that rewards the attention of anyone interested in the truth. ( )
1 vote mrtall | Apr 27, 2010 |
I teach a Western civilization course for a tutorial service and I thought I would check out this book. Esolen writes in a very readable style and touches on the history, art, ideas and people that have made the Western world what it is. He comes from a strong Catholic perspective and is not apologetic about it. He brings up some excellent points that in our politically correct society we overlook or downplay. I would not use it as a textbook but I have used some of his points in class and looked further at some of the books he recommended. At a time when many high schools and universities are watering down their curriculum and not assigning the reading of the great books or discussing some of the great philosophers or leaders of the Western Civilization this book challenges us to rethink that and realize what a rich heritage we have. ( )
  janimar | Mar 28, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,148,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible