Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles by…

Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles (edition 2005)

by Lance Parkin

Member:stevepugh
Title:Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles
Authors:Lance Parkin
Info:BBC Books (2005), Paperback
Tags:doctor who, eighth doctor, fiction, novel, science fiction

The Gallifrey Chronciles by Lance Parkin

I thought at first that this was going to be a too-clever-by-half tale of intersecting rival continuities. It's better than that, I'm glad to say. A lot of the plot features another Time Lord exiled to Earth, who has been writing science fiction novels over the last century or so (these are the Gallifrey Chronicles of the title, a beautifully developed concept); he bears a grudge against the Doctor, and triggers an invasion of Earth by loathesome insects to get even. (I loved the idea of the insects spraying goo which doesn't actually kill people but makes everyone else believe the victim is dead.)

There are some slightly baffling bits of continuity. I still don't have the backstory abouit the destruction of Gallifrey (in EDA continuity, that is; I have enjoyed the Big Finish version) but it's not as relevant to the plot as I expected. Likewise the Doctor's adopted daughter Miranda makes an appearance, the first time I had encountered her.

This was also the first book I've read with companion Trix, who has replaced Anji as female sidekick to Fitz (though Anji makes a welcome cameo appearance). Trix and Fitz take advantage of the approaching end of the sequence of novels and fall in love, after travelling together for some time - I think the most overtly physical relationship between two companions in the whole extended canon before New Who, though it's not particularly explicit and is abruptly interrupted.

The ending is not really as conclusive as you would have liked for the termination of a series of more than 70 books. Of course, this is probably Russell T Davies' fault more than Lance Parkin's, but it's a bit of a shame.

Anyway, once again Lance Parkin has produced a mildly confusing if generally readable book. Once again, I find myself thinking that I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for anyone wanting to get into the Eighth Doctor Adventures; but I have to admit I haven't really identified such a starting point as yet. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 7, 2008 |
To Brie Lewis

The Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey has been destroyed. The Time Lords are dead, their TARDISes annihilated. The man responsible has been tracked down and lured to Earth in the year 2005, where there will be no escape. But Earth has its hands full - a mystery signal is being received from a radio telescope, there's a second moon in the sky, and a primordial alien menace has been unleashed. The stage is set for the ultimate confrontation. Now, the last of the Time Lords must ensure that justice is done. The Doctor and his companions Fitz and Trix will meet their destiny. And this time, the Doctor isn't going to be able to save everybody. This is the last in the continuing series of original adventures of the Eighth Doctor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

The Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey has been destroyed. The Time Lords are dead, their TARDISes annihilated. 2005, where there will be no escape. But Earth has its hands full - a mystery signal is being received from a radio telescope, there's a second moon in the sky, and a primordial alien menace has been unleashed. and his companions Fitz and Trix will meet their destiny. And this time, the Doctor isn't going to be able to save everybody. Eighth Doctor.… (more)

Lance Parkin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,389,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible