Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks

Devil May Care (edition 2008)

by Sebastian Faulks

1,2024213,343 (3.19)60
Set in the Cold War, and follows the action of Bond across two contintents and exotic locations.
Member:squirblej
Title:Devil May Care
Authors:Sebastian Faulks
Info:Doubleday Canada (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages

Work Information

Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks

English (40)  Dutch (2)  All languages (42)
This book was published in 2008 as a tribute to Ian Fleming and it takes you back in time to the 1970s and the Cold War. The invasion and war in Ukraine beginning as I was reading this novel added a whole other dimension to the story. It is a long time since I read an Ian Fleming 007 book but I felt that Sebastian Faulks did a good job of including all the aspects of a Bond novel. There are car chases, a beautiful woman, an evil man with an ape hand and a side-kick that lacks any compassion. 007 flies between countries, enjoying good food and plenty of alcohol when he can and surviving torture and injuries when he has to. ( )
  CarolKub | Mar 2, 2022 |
If you've read Fleming's novels you will recognize James Bond here but although close, it's not up to Ian Fleming's standards. If you haven't read any of the Bond novels, don't start here. The original author had a winning style that Faulks just cannot reproduce even though he has used more updated language. This resembles the corny movie stories more than Fleming's novels. ( )
  VivienneR | Oct 10, 2019 |
A materialist's dream of international affairs. Quite nice for the thing it is. ( )
  ajungherr | Mar 15, 2018 |
Having been an avid reader of the 007 books by Gardner and Benson, I can't help but be disappointed in this entry. The first 007 novel in some time, the idea of a story set in the Cold War neutralized most of the tension in this adventure, although Faulks does capture some of nuances of Fleming's style. He earns point for use of the Soviet EKroncraft (I'm surprised this cool piece of tech has not shown up in a movie before) but much of the novel plays out like a pastiche on Fleming's Bonds instead of something with a life and style of its own. Dairus is a stand-in for Kermin Bey and we are treated to a return appearance by Leiter (but without a pairing up with 007). The central villain is a bit OTT even for a Bond foe (a monkey paw, honestly?) and his last minute switch in diabolical plans from drugging all of England to precipitating war seems like Faulk suddenly felt this book needed a bit more action. The tennis match between Gorner and Bond is a too obvious homage to Goldfinger.Not very exciting but I suppose worth a read for the completionest. I think the way to go is to bring back Benson and keep the modern Bonds going. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
"You look distracted, James."
"I'm sorry. Do I? I blame the two Bs."
"And what are they?"
"Brainwashing and bereavement."
"Goodness. Tell me more."

That is a concise summary of the last three Bond books by Ian Fleming! This one follows those, and could very well have been titled, "The Man With the Monkey Paw"! Pretty standard bad guy stuff in here, though his plan switches rather dramatically - from a heroin based one, to a "let's-get-some-nukes-and-blow-shit-up" one, without any real reason or explanation for the change. The writing is decent enough, but a tad slow at times. The tennis match was very dull reading. As was the trek across Russia.

Still, it's 007, and a worthy entry into his world, even if it didn't blow me away. I would, however, like to read more, especially about 004! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 3, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

To the memory of Ian Fleming and to Fali Vakeel who, when he and I were schoolboys, first introduced me to Bond
It was a wet evening in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,614,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible