Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Drunkard's Walk : How Randomness Rules…

The Drunkard's Walk : How Randomness Rules Our Lives (2008)

by Leonard Mlodinow

Recently added byFloyd3345, vhl219, private library, garryjr, imbell, mmartin1, Tiniere, Ygraine

English (61)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
Well known book that I finally got around to reading. Not a book I'm going to reread anytime soon, but an excellent treatment of the material. I wish math courses in K-12 would include books like these in their recommended reading - it's not a book to teach from, but a great book to spark interest in the application side of STEM. I liked it for a lot of the same reasons I enjoyed Innumeracy or Why Buildings Stand Up.

I'm not really a fan of most 'pop-culture' math and science books - they often try to be too clever and/or string together too many low sample size studies in order to force a counter-culture point into being. Mlodinow's book largely avoids that trap, sticking to broad, useful, and expert-accepted conclusions which simply may not be evident or known to the average reader. ( )
  sarcher | May 11, 2019 |
Gostei. Por acaso.
Ou não? ( )
  adsicuidade | Sep 8, 2018 |
How randomness rules our lives
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I would normally give a book like this four stars, for I enjoyed it very much, but on reflection I think Mlodinow did a very good job making probability (and a little statistics) quite accessible to the general reader. I got a kick looking at some of the Goodreads comments when I was finished... "I'm a mathematician and this book was drivel", "I'm a mathematician and this book was great", "I'm an English major and I liked it." (All paraphrased, of course) One reviewer even carped that the title didn't show up until quite late in the book. Lighten up, Francis... background and setup are okay, right? Guess not.

Chill out folks...the math is good, the stories entertaining, the history enlightening, and the flow very good. If you're a mathematician sneering at a physicist's treatment of your world, bring it down a notch or three - he made probability readable and was spot on in doing it. If you're an English teacher, don't be offended when Mlodinow points out arbitrary grading of papers.

Like Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise, complex subject matter made easy is something to be applauded. So...five stars. ( )
1 vote Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I chose this book at random from my public library. Okay well not quite at random as it was displayed prominently on the shelf with its front cover facing out. But I had not heard of it and didn't know anything of its contents. Chalk it up to serendipity that you are now reading my review of this book.

Cal Tech physicist Leonard Mlodinow tackles the problem of randomness. Randomness goes unrecognized by many people because by nature, people try to discern some sort of cause or pattern behind random events. By examining and interpreting data, statistics, the history of thought on probabilities, Mlodinow argues that our best laid plans are fraught with uncertainty.

Fair point and there are some interesting things here, especially if you life statistics and math. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
This book is rich in handy little definitions that serve as signposts for would-be gamblers: availability bias, for instance, and the law of sample space; the lucky-guess scenario and the wrong-guess scenario; the prosecutor's fallacy, the sharpshooter effect and the law of large numbers.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Tim Radford (Jul 12, 2008)

Leonard Mlodinowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Olvet, TriinEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pratt, SeanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soonsein, ReinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zijlemaker, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my three miracles of randomness: Olivia, Nicolai, and Alexi ... and for Sabina Jakubowicz
A few years ago, a man won the Spanish national lottery with a ticket that ended in the number 48.
If psychics really existed, you'd see them in places like [Monte Carlo], hooting and dancing and pushing wheelbarrows of money down the street, and not on Web sites calling themselves Zelda Who Knows All and Sees All and offering twenty-four-hour free online love advice [...].

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275175, Paperback)

Amazon Guest Review: Stephen Hawking
Published in 1988, Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time became perhaps one of the unlikeliest bestsellers in history: a not-so-dumbed-down exploration of physics and the universe that occupied the London Sunday Times bestseller list for 237 weeks. Later successes include 1995’s A Briefer History of Time, The Universe in a Nutshell, and God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs that Changed History. Stephen Hawking is Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge.

In The Drunkard’s Walk Leonard Mlodinow provides readers with a wonderfully readable guide to how the mathematical laws of randomness affect our lives. With insight he shows how the hallmarks of chance are apparent in the course of events all around us. The understanding of randomness has brought about profound changes in the way we view our surroundings, and our universe. I am pleased that Leonard has skillfully explained this important branch of mathematics. --Stephen Hawking

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:56 -0400)

An irreverent look at how randomness influences our lives, and how our successes and failures are far more dependent on chance events than we recognize.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,513,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible