O Jerusalem! (1972)

by Larry Collins, Dominique Lapierre

The epic drama of 1948, in which the Arabs and the Jews, heirs to generations of bitter conflict in a land sacred to them both, fought each other for the city of Jerusalem and for the hopes of fulfillment it represented to each. Here, for the first time is an account of that struggle which encompasses the full spectrum of its participants.… (more)

English (23)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
This was a very interesting book. It gave me what I was looking for.
The Palestine-Israeli conflict has been around as long as I can remember and I have been wondering why, how come, where did it go wrong.

The book started right after WWII. And if I've read it rightly, the how come is a mix of several things. Clumsy ways of communication. Not between army parts, but by governments, leaders of tribes. Some unfortunate events, differences in attacking problems, togetherness, or personal/group honour or benefits.
When looked at it from that angle, things could have worked out differently. Had circumstances been different, had there been more adequate communication, less involvement of the UN, another start of the whole process, who knows. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 27, 2021 |

Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 745
Format: Paperback Edition

Synopsis:

A brief history of the events leading up to Britain's departure from the Holy Land in 1948 and the war for survival that Israel then fought against 5 Arab countries.

Taken from newspapers, private journal entries, interviews, government documents, Collins and Lapierre weave a narrative of courage, horror, bravery, cowardice, ingenuity and turn what could have been a dry recounting by the numbers of the birth of a modern nation into something that had a face of its peoples.

My Thoughts:

My, my, what a good start to my first dedicated foray into non-fiction. I'd read this back in 2000 and just remembered that I'd really enjoyed it then. I thoroughly enjoyed it again.

I also enjoyed reading about events from both sides, both Israeli and Arab. Getting accounts from both sides allowed the authors to delve a lot deeper and to make connections that wouldn't be possible without that knowledge. They also don't fall into the trap of worshiping one side and demonizing the other.

That being said, they also don't pull any punches. The Moslem Brotherhood is shown for the terrorist group it is. Anyone who watched the events of the Arab Spring in Egypt a couple of years ago will know their name. They're as “moderate” as Hillary Clinton and President Obama. The authors also show how a splinter group of the Israeli military (the Stern Gang I think?) tried to pull a coup and caused the official army to have to fire on its own people, WHILE THE WAR WAS GOING ON.

It is amazing how politics played such a huge part. For all that the Arab leaders were talking publicly about wiping Israel off the face of the earth, privately they were dead set against such a war. But they wouldn't keep their mouths shut and their people were ignorant savages and when you get that kind of combination, well, you get war.

There were very few footnotes or anything, but at the end of the book were almost 30 pages of sources and each chapter had its own little heading showing what sources were used to substantiate the chapter. Made me feel much better and that the authors weren't pulling rabbits out of hats.

★★★★½ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Jul 17, 2019 |
Le 18 octobre 2006, sortira l'adaptation cinématographique de Ô Jérusalem.
À cette occasion, paraît une édition spéciale du best-seller écrit par Lapierre et Collins.

Ô Jérusalem : c'est plus de cinquante millions de lecteurs dans vingt huit pays. Un livre référence qui permet de comprendre comme nul autre les sources d'un conflit qui secoue le monde depuis maintenant bientôt soixante ans.

Pour écrire cette fresque, Lapierre et Collins ont mené une enquête longue de trois ans auprès de mille témoins en Israël, en Égypte, en Irak, en Jordanie, en Syrie au Liban, aux États-Unis, en Angleterre et en France... De Golda Meir, David Ben Gourion et Hussein de Jordanie à des acteurs plus anonymes, dont certains jouèrent un rôle déterminant. Leur ouvrage a été salué par la presse du monde entier.

Le film, habilement articulé autour des destins exemplaires d'un palestinien et d'un juif, amis dans la vie et ennemis dans la guerre, met en scène les épisodes racontés dans la deuxième partie du livre, à savoir le conflit proprement dit, qui a suivi le vote de l'ONU et la proclamation de l'État d'Israël.

Avec le même objectif que celui qui guidait Lapierre et Collins quand ils ont écrit leur livre : refléter une vérité historique objective.

Sous une nouvelle couverture, augmentée de cahiers photos reproduisant les scènes du film, et enrichie d'une préface de Dominique Lapierre, retraçant l'aventure de l'écriture du livre et des épisodes jamais racontés à ce jour de cette grande page d'Histoire, ainsi que d'une postface d'Élie Chouraqui faisant le récit du tournage.
  Haijavivi | Jun 11, 2019 |
An extensively researched history of the creation of the state of Israel and the preceding decades, impartially recounted by an American and French journalist who collected scores of interviews, memoirs and historical documents.

They cover both sides of the story - Israeli and Palestinian, as well as European and American meddling in this part of the world.

Read in Slovene under the title Jeruzalem Jeruzalem. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
The authors ... recreate the often-told account of [a] beleaguered city, Jerusalem in 1948 ... splicing of man-in-the-street heroics with the drama of backroom politics and diplomacy. ... Collins and Lapierre do not analyze history or draw conclusions from it: what we get is the intersection of personal sacrifices, ambitions, and quirks of fate with the realpolitik of governments and the eccentricities of leaders.
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus Reviews

Collins, Larryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lapierre, Dominiquemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Knöller-Seyffarth, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koning, DolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moreno, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiel, ChristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuoristo, AaroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.
If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth;
if I prefer not Jerusalem above my highest joys.
The song of the exiled children of Israel, sung by the waters of Babylon
Psalm 137
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Jesus contemplating Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives
Matthew 23:37
O Jerusalem, the choice of Allah of all his lands! In it are the chosen of his servants. From it the earth was stretched fort and from it shall it be rolled up like a scroll.
The dew which descends upon Jerusalem is a remedy from every sickness because it is from the gardens of Paradise.
The Hadith, the sayings of the Prophet Mohmmed
They knew the sound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,113,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible