The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh

The Green Book (edition 2012)

by Jill Paton Walsh (Author), Lloyd Bloom (Illustrator)

4391134,188 (3.62)1 / 15
Member:MLFergy
Title:The Green Book
Authors:Jill Paton Walsh (Author)
Other authors:Lloyd Bloom (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2012), 80 pages
Collections:Classroom 2
Rating:**
Tags:Age of Exp, Blue Box

The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh

It's a children's book that would be just about perfect for 3 or 4th grade. It was also a book that allowed me to fill in a category for a challenge...so it served a duel purpose. It's an interesting story about modern pioneering with some really cool illustrations. To an adult reader it's a reminder that children can and do make some of the biggest contributions to family and society. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 19, 2018 |
I first read this in grade school when I was first getting into fantasy/sci-fi and the story always stuck with me though I could not remember the title. I somehow tracked it down and was quite glad I did. The story follows a family who travels to a distant planet fleeing a dying Earth. This particular family and their compatriots were not well off so they are sent with limited resources on a ship not designed for colonization. The planet is one of crystalline structure - rocks, trees, plants all appear glass-like. It was this aspect of the world building that so caught my imagination as a child. Overall not a groundbreaking or amazing book, but it was nice to revisit it. ( )
  janemarieprice | Feb 22, 2018 |
at least twice people have asked for help at http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185-what-s-the-name-of-that-book so it must be a book that makes an impact...

ETA - there's now a been a third request...

And so I got it from the library. And the blurbs on the back emphasize the grace of the language, but I didn't really see that. I can't find one line worthy of quoting.

It just seemed like a simplistic story with a simple moral about being open to new ways of thinking. That one theme explains why the father, a mere mechanic on Earth, is excited to have the prestige on the new planet of the one with technical skills, why it's so exciting when the aliens hatch and why it's the children who find a way for the colony to survive. It was fine, but not special, in my personal opinion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Perhaps if I'd read this when I was 8. Before I'd ever read any other science fiction. But I would still have been bugged by the internal inconsistencies of the story, not to mention the huge gaping holes in it. So all they are going to eat is wheat flour and moth wing soup? ForEVER? And how could they not know how long the day was on a planet they had approached for months? And who was the mysterious Guide? And why didn't they talk among themselves about who was bringing which book before boarding the ship? Why did Pattie continue to misuse the word 'choose' after 4 years had passed? So much improbability, it's a wonder Arthur Dent didn't come through looking for a spot of tea.

And it really bugged me that the illustrator hadn't read carefully. All the roof shingles in his illustrations were SQUARE. And the moths were entirely fairy-like, as opposed to the descriptions in the text.

I say it's spinach.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
The story takes place in a future when the inhabitants of Earth have to leave it to escape its impending destruction (the cause of which is not explained in the book, but some allusions to the light getting bluer and the planet colder might mean the Sun is dying). Young Pattie, her father, older brother and sister are part of one of the last groups to leave. Their spaceship is quite old, and they are headed towards a planet where life might be possible. After four years of traveling, they finally arrive on the planet, which turns out to be quite hospitable at first with breathable air, drinkable water, and no dangerous animals or other beings. However, the group soon discovers that they cannot grow Earth vegetables in its crystalline-like soil, and the wheat they sowed looks more like glass than wheat. Will they be able to survive on Shine?

I am not a reader of science fiction, and apprehended reading this book, but I actually got into the story which is still very much “human” because it portrays a future that humanity might be confronted with one day, and I was actually disappointed at the end that the story was not longer. I wanted to know more about the life of the people on the new planet even though to stop the story where it does makes sense. The narration of the book is interesting because the narrator is omniscient, but includes himself/herself in the story by using the pronoun “we”. Since all the main characters are mentioned in the third-person, I spent the whole book wondering about that narrator. In an interesting mise en abyme, it turns out that the book we are reading was actually written by Pattie in a green cover notebook she had brought from Earth, hence the title. It usually takes a particular kind of child to enjoy science fiction stories, but I believe this book could appeal to other readers as well because of the more universal story. Ages 8 and up. ( )
  alebarbu | Nov 18, 2011 |
For Robert, Matthew, and Kate -J.P.W.
Father said, "We can take very little with us."

As their small stock of essential supplies dwindles, a group of refugees from Earth struggle to make their strange new planet provide life's necessities.

As their small stock of essential supplies dwindles, a group of refugees from earth struggle to make their strange new planet provide life's necessities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible