Time and Again (1970)

by Jack Finney

Series: Jack Finney's Time and Again (1)

Since it was first published in 1970, Time and Again has become a truly timeless cult classic with a vast and loyal following. This 25th anniversary edition, filled with its original unique period illustrations, is being published to coincide with its long-awaited sequel, From Time to Time. Time and Again will soon be a major motion picture produced and directed by Robert Redford.… (more)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (infiniteletters)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse, browner56)
    browner56: Both of these are well-written stories that deal with the concept of time travel in an interesting way.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (zwelbast)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Time travel books involving journeys back in time.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (bnbookgirl)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (sturlington)
    Dreamland by Kevin Baker (bnbookgirl)
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Time on My Hands by Peter Delacorte (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two very similar books about travelling back in time to a vividly-imagined past, and the problems of changing history...
    The Mevrouw Who Saved Manhattan: A Novel of New Amsterdam by Bill Greer (Manthepark)
    Manthepark: Travel back even further in time to when the Dutch settled New York. An imaginative, authentic and funny novel.
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)

Check out my review of ‘Time And Again’ by Jack Finney.

#JackFinney #TimeandAgain #fantasy #slipstream #timetravel #newyork #JohnCAdamsReviews #JohnCAdams #WayBackWhensday #Novel #Fiction #Book #Review #Reviews #bookreview #bookreviews ( )
  johncadamssf | Apr 25, 2022 |
[[Jack Finney]] is a classic science fiction writer, having his work leak into the culture with multiple film adaptations for [The Body Snatchers]. That book is a wonderful read - read the book, don't just watch the movie(s). [Time and Again] is the tale of a man recruited to a secret government project for his rich imagination, because the scientists believe he can imagine his way back in time. And he succeeds in going back to 1880s New York City, his mission to find out everything he can about a minor character in history. The mission turns into a bit of a mystery, which keeps the narrative moving nicely. Ultimately, the time traveler is forced to confront the ethics of time travel and interfering in history. The detail Finney provides about New York is startling and wildly enjoyable.

Interestingly, as I read the book, I was convinced this book was the basis for the Christopher Reeve film Somewhere in Time. But I learned later the film was actually an adaptation of [[Richard Matheson]]'s later novel, [Bid Time Return]. I was floored to learn that Matheson gets all the credit for the idea of time traveling through imagination, as Finney's novel predates his by five years.

Highly recommended.
4 1/2 bones!!!!! ( )
2 vote blackdogbooks | Apr 3, 2022 |
A work of fantasy involving time travel. In this story the main character travels between NYC in modern times to NYC in the 1800s. It was interesting to see the bustling city compared in the different centuries. The book doesn't get into time travel much, does discuss the ethical dilemmas of time travel, and the motivation one has to change history. I have to admit that I had never heard of this book. It was published in 1970 and is the first book of a series. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 18, 2022 |
A time travel story set in NYC in the 1970s and the 1880s, and also a mystery with some interesting twists along the way. I enjoyed the story quite a bit and only have one quibble: the love story felt superficial and only there as a way to get the main character to make certain decisions. I wasn't invested in the romance aspect at all and there was no chemistry between the two characters. I think the book would have been better without it, honestly. ( )
  electrascaife | Nov 20, 2021 |
I was hoping for a lot more from this book, but it really dragged (drug?) in places. Like anytime the author wanted to display how much he'd researched 1882 New York City. The mechanics of time travel were about the lamest I'd ever read. I actually liked the conclusion, but I was still pretty eager for the story to just get over with already. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Time and Again sends out a huge valentine to the past. It's nostalgic and there's something deliciously comforting and escapist in its promise of a New York Eden.

Finney, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engel, Mary BessCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeschke, WolfgangHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratzkin,LawrenceCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marg, who liked it
In shirt-sleeves, the way I generally worked, I sat sketching a bar of soap taped to an upper corner of my drawing board.
Is there any other place where an entire cloud bank can be completely reflected in the windows of one wall of only one building, and with room to spare?
No matter how carefully a man lives, though, at sixty-eight his remaining years are numbered...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,229,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible