The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle by…

The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher, Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)

Member:sitasita
Title:The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle
Authors:Jim Butcher
Other authors:Ardian Syaf (Illustrator)
Info:Del Rey/Dabel Brothers (2008), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:To read

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

English (41)  German (1)  All languages (42)
3 out of 5 stars

I’ve been a fan of the Dresden Files since the series early days. I have all the novels lovingly sitting right next to my Harry Potter collection. (Look, having all the fantasy books with protagonists named Harry together just makes sense to me). What I don’t have are any of the assorted graphic novels. Recently, I picked up a copy of The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher and Ardian Syaf.

The story is about Harry Dresden, wizard and go-to person for all things supernatural in Chicago. This time he’s called in for a death at the Lincoln Park Zoo. A security guard was found mauled to death, with blame immediately being placed on the zoo’s guerilla. Harry is then called in to figure out who or what actually responsible for the death.

I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this. Graphic novel tie-ins, whether they be canon to the series or not, have disappointment in the past. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Welcome to the Jungle felt exactly like a Dresden Files novel. Like so many of the novels, it was just fun. Harry Dresden was the same old Harry we’re used to. His personality hadn’t suffered. His catch phrases were all there, but never overused.

The story isn’t a terribly complicated one. There are not any unforeseen twists and turns as can be found in the novels, particularly some of the later ones. Yet, it doesn’t need them. The entire story fits into a single graphic novel, which is very appreciated. No need to wait for the end of the story in the next volume. It’s all here.

While the front cover may not be indicative of the sort of art within the graphic novel, it does match the front covers of the novels perfectly. This is both unexpected and appreciated from a collector’s point of view. Many series don’t seem to stick to one theme for its covers across a mere three novels let alone a very long running series in addition to its related graphic novels.

The art is bold. Color pallets change completely depending on location and time of day. However, I did find some of the character’s facial expressions to be rather static. A lot of the same hard, slightly grumpy faces were used. Perhaps it’s simply because I am used to the often overly expressive nature of manga, but the characters did feel a bit stiff visually speaking.

However, I can’t help but feel that the art was not used to its full potential. A lot of information was conveyed through narration, not dialogue between characters and not through the art itself. Certain sections got a little wordy. A change in expression and some basic body language could have evoked basically exactly what the text explained.

Still, this was a fun story set in a great series. Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher and Ardian Syaf is a good addition to the Dresden Files series. If you are a fan of this series, I do suggest to give this graphic novel a read if you haven’t already done so. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 19, 2018 |
This story was centered around the Chicago zoo and was really good! I'm hoping the library has more of these when I go tomorrow ( )
  JillKenna | Dec 21, 2017 |
A nice quick read to satisfy the longing I get for more Dresden Files in between books. This short story takes place as a graphic novel which is kinda cool, but I also kinda didn't love it because I picture all the characters in my head very differently (which is why I haven't checked out the TV show yet). Harry Dresden is called in to investigate a mysterious death at the zoo. It looks as if the night guard was murdered by the gorilla but hings aren't adding up. How did the gorilla get out or back in for that matter? The guard emptied his entire gun, where are the bullets? Something is fishy and Dresden the finest (and only openly practicing) wizard in Chicago is on the scene to help out his pal Lt. Murphy. A Fun, quick read. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 13, 2017 |
I'm not sure why we needed a pre-quel, but this is a great Dresden story and definitely worth reading. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This was the first Dresden Files graphic novel that I have read. The series is by far my favorite, and the graphic novel only adds to that. The realm that Butcher creates is beautiful and well crafted. His imagination, though, truly shines in the graphic novel. The characters are drawn to resemble the novel counterparts almost perfectly, even stated by Butcher himself in the introduction. The plot lives up to Butcher's other works, involving deep detective work, witty jokes and one liners, as well as a great mixture of action and dialogue. The story revolves around a murder that occurs at a zoo. Dresden is called in because it was a supernatural attack rather than a mortal one. The story unfolds as typical Dresden novels do, with Harry going after different leads until the twist at the end. However, also like typical Dresden novels, Harry isn't quite as behind on what is going on than what readers believe. The ending is satisfying and acts as an excellent introduction to the main novels to someone who has never read them before. I would highly recommend this story to anyone looking for a supernatural detective story or just an excellently written story in general. ( )
  Ross_Rodgers | Oct 31, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Syaf, ArdianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welcome to the jungle. Like any jungle, it is a world of predators and prey.

Harry Dresden, the only professional wizard listed in the Chicago phone book, returns to take on new supernatural villains out to turn the world upside down, in an original graphic novel adventure based on the best-selling fantasy series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,652,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible