My Own Kind Of Freedom by Steven Brust…

My Own Kind Of Freedom by Steven Brust (2015-11-03) (2007)

by Steven Brust (Author)

Member:Xylrith
Title:My Own Kind Of Freedom by Steven Brust (2015-11-03)
Authors:Steven Brust (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2015-11-03) (no date)

Work Information

My Own Kind of Freedom by Steven Brust (2007)

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Anonymous user)
    Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon (ghilbrae)
    ghilbrae: Highly recommendable fan fiction, very true to the show.

My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel is a novel written by established fantasy novelist Steven Brust "on spec". It was originally proposed as an official Firefly novel to be licensed by Universal Pictures, but it was rejected. In 2008 it was instead published by Brust on the internet under a Creative Commons license as fan fiction. from http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/My_Own_Kind_of_Freedom

Download the novel here. link: Link

I thought the TV show was great as well as the movie and the comics so when I found this "fan fic" by a professional author I dove right in. Burst gets the pacing of the story just right with spot on dialogue from the characters. Only thing that might make this better is if it was longer and continued with more books, but I blame Universal Pictures for that for not picking up this book as an official work, but many thanks to Steven Burst for releasing this under creative commons. I'd never read any of his other work, but I will now for sure.
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Awww, I miss Firefly. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Thanks, Chris. It was great to read a new Firefly adventure. This was a lot of fun. Brust nailed the characters & dialog. This takes place after the series (Book & Inara are gone.) but before the movie (I won't say why, although if it's a spoiler, your movie priorities are all wrong.)

Get it for free through a Google search or here in epub, mobi, or PDF.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I went into this book having neither seen the TV show nor the movie; basically knowing nothing about it other than the author whose books I read as soon as they are published in a devouring fashion.
I did enjoy this - but not his strongest work. I'm not sure if this is because he was writing in a universe not of his own creation - or if it was because it missed an editing step in the publishing process. But either way, it was enjoyable, but forgetable.
The premise is that the crew of a Firefly-class cargo ship, having picked up two fugitives, go to deliver a cargo onto a planet and get involved in the authorities trying to get their fugutives and trying to help another law officer arrest a criminal running a slave-mining operation. Reads like a western in space, a bit. Still, I enjoy Brust's writing and for a TV-inspired spin-off novel, it was good. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
This was pretty entertaining! I'd probably give it 3.5 stars, but it's closer to 3 than 4 so that's what I went with.

I thought Brust did a really good job of capturing the personalities of the characters and portraying them in text format. There were a few exceptions, over-used words and terms that I don't remember being over-used in the show, but that was easily forgiven. The story was entertaining, and read like an episode of the show, which was a nice trip down memory lane.

Overall, I liked it. I can't say I really liked it, but that's just because I really liked the show. No matter what, I don't think this could be at the same level as the show, so it sort of pales in the comparison. But still.. Good times. I'm glad I read it. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,187,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible