Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Love That Dog (2001)

by Sharon Creech

English (304)  Dutch (1)  All languages (305)
Teague and I read this together, and we both really liked it. It was fun to find the poems that we referenced through the book in the back when we were done. We are going to read "Hate that Cat," next. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
A young boy named Jack learns about poetry from his teacher and his dog. The poems are written in Jacks point of view. He learns to love poetry. ( )
  mnh98 | Nov 19, 2018 |
Great read, author does a great job of making this appropriate for children's literature. Powerful ending, super sad. ( )
  Kwegehaupt | Nov 14, 2018 |
This is a poetry book about a young child that is very talented in poetry but he is embarrassed to show it. Very good book to teach children to be brave because they never know how good they will be at something. ( )
  maespino | Oct 28, 2018 |
Written as a poem, this heart-warming story is about a young boy who learns about poetry. As his understanding progresses, he Is able to use poetry to express his feelings about a very difficult experience.

This is a wonderful and valuable story. This is minimalism at its finest. The minimalist style allows the reader to see one side of the young boy’s conversations with his teacher about the poetry to which she has exposed him. We are given the opportunity to watch as his views change, and he can express things that he previously could not. This is the true essence of poetry. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Sep 30, 2018 |
For
Sandy and Jack Floyd
Mark and Karin Leuthy Benjamin
Louise England
Rob Leuthy

all of whom
love love love their dogs

With special thanks to
Walter Dean Myers

and to all the poets
and Mr.-and-Ms. Stretchberrys
who inspire students every day
Room 105—Miss Stretchberry

September 13

I don't want to
because boys
don't write poetry.

Girls do.
Sky was just there in the road lying on his side with his legs bent funny and his side heaving

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064409597, Paperback)

Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech's Love That Dog, a funny, sweet, original short novel written in free verse, introduces us to an endearingly unassuming, straight-talking boy who discovers the powers and pleasures of poetry. Against his will. After all, "boys don't write poetry. Girls do." What does he say of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "I think Mr. Robert Frost / has a little / too / much / time / on his / hands." As his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, introduces the canon to the class, however, he starts to see the light. Poetry is not so bad, it's not just for girls, and it's not even that hard to write. Take William Carlos Williams, for example: "If that is a poem / about the red wheelbarrow / and the white chickens / then any words / can be a poem. / You've just got to / make / short / lines." He becomes more and more discerning as the days go by, and readers' spirits will rise with Jack's as he begins to find his own voice through his own poetry and through that of others. His favorite poem of all is a short, rhythmic one by Walter Dean Myers called "Love That Boy" (included at the end of the book with all the rest of Ms. Stretchberry's assignments). The words completely captivate him, reminding him of the loving way his dad calls him in the morning and of the way he used to call his yellow dog, Sky. Jack's reverence for the poem ultimately leads to meeting the poet himself, an experience he will never forget.

This winning, accessible book is truly remarkable in that Creech lets us witness firsthand how words can open doors to the soul. And this from a boy who asks, "Why doesn't the person just / keep going if he's got / so many miles to go / before he sleeps?" (Ages 8 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

A young student, who comes to love poetry through a personal understanding of what different famous poems mean to him, surprises himself by writing his own inspired poem.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible