Mrs. Dalloway: Illustrierte Schmuckausgabe…

Mrs. Dalloway: Illustrierte Schmuckausgabe (original 1925; edition 2020)

by Virginia Woolf (Autor)

20,849333209 (3.86)1 / 1113
Fiction. Literature. HTML:

Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway is back for a fresh release from Duke Classics. One thread follows Clarissa Dalloway as she spends a day planning to host a party in post-WWI England. Another follows the path of Septimus Smith, a struggling war veteran. Reflections on wartime, love, and the past are woven together before intersecting at the story's climax.

.… (more)
Member:annb_jsd
Title:Mrs. Dalloway: Illustrierte Schmuckausgabe
Authors:Virginia Woolf (Autor)
Info:Coppenrath (2020), Edition: 1, 264 pages

Work Information

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (PLReader, kjuliff)
    kjuliff: Mrs Dalloway over several hours
    The Yellow Wallpaper - story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (KayCliff)
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Ulysses II by James Joyce (caflores)
    The Life and Death of Harriet Frean by May Sinclair (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: As much as Clarissa Dalloway is a product of a constrictive society, Sinclair's Harriet Frean is even worse. Severely psychologically affected in later life by her parent's rules, her individuality and freedom is ruined by always 'behaving beautifully'.… (more)
    Five Bells by Gail Jones (fountainoverflows)
    Ulysses by James Joyce (Othemts)
    One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downes (shaunie)
    shaunie: The subject matter is quite different but the writing style is similar, it's a shame One Fine Day is much less well known.
    The Hours [2002 film] by Stephen Daldry (TheLittlePhrase)
    Great Books by David Denby (Anonymous user)
1920s (2)
AP Lit (41)
Read (21)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Author Theme Reads: Virginia Woolf: Mrs. Dalloway5 unread / 5Sarasamsara, February 2009

English (296)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (325)
Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway takes place over the course of just one day, as the titular Clarissa Dalloway prepares for and throws a party, but its scope is really her whole life and the choices she's made. Most importantly, the summer when she rejected the suit of her friend Peter and instead chose to marry Richard Dalloway, a minor politician with whom she has a daughter who's now a young woman herself. Peter is suddenly back in town, in pursuit of a divorce for the younger-but-married woman he's been courting, and comes by Clarissa's home that morning, spurring her to think about that time of her life, when she was more passionate and free-spirited.

There's a parallel story going on as well, that of Septimus Warren Smith. Once an idealistic student studying Shakespeare, he joined up to fight in World War I without really thinking about what he was getting into. He ended up with what we'd probably now diagnose as PTSD, and when he was sent to the villa of an Italian hatmaker to recover from his shellshock, impulsively married Lucrezia, the hatmaker's lively daughter. Although the pair has been married for several years by the time the book takes place, they have not yet had children, much to Rezia's chagrin. Septimus' mental state, always delicate, has taken a turn for the worse and his wife is desperately trying to find him adequate help. Although the stories at first seem disconnected, it becomes obvious that Clarissa and Septimus are foils for each other. Each is reflecting back on their lives and choices and the consequences of decisions long-since made, and teetering between hope and despair.

This is one of those literary classics that I'm glad I came to outside of the typical "high school English" setting. Like The Great Gatsby (which I hated when I read it in high school, but loved once I read as an adult), it's steeped in themes of remembrance and regret and reflecting on the choices made or not made that have shaped your path. And I'm sure I would have been disgusted that Clarissa had decided to marry steady, boring Richard who struggles to even just tell her he loves her because he's so uncomfortable with feelings instead of Peter, who struggles to contain his wellsprings of emotion and with whom she clearly has a more natural chemistry. But adult me understands that sparking passion isn't the same thing as love, and that Peter has not been able to make a steady relationship last, while Richard and Clarissa are still married, indicates that her instincts had merit.

Although it's only about 200 pages long, Mrs. Dalloway is a dense novel that I read at about half of my usual pace. The narration skips around, following mostly Clarissa and Septimus but also Rezia, Richard, Peter, and others. As a book focused on memory, it's presented in a more stream-of-consciousness style and demands close attention. It's one of those books that you read and immediately know you're going to get more out of every time you go back through it because there's a lot there, and I'm sure this is a book I want to revisit. Woolf's writing is lovely, not flowery or excessive but still packed with powerful themes and emotions. Since I wasn't an English major, this is actually the first time I've read her work and I walked away wanting to read more. I'd recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  ghneumann | Jun 14, 2024 |
I really must not be as cultured as I pretend to be because I just didn’t resonate with this at all. ( )
  mmodine | May 31, 2024 |
As I was going through the book, it suddenly dawned on me that I'm dealing with a writer of extreme intelligence, wit and understanding who at the same time is completely unapologetic for her craft. I've dealt with clever writers in the past, but never in so condensed a form. Her ever flowing stream of consciousness presents thoughts and feelings of various characters, never taking sides, never judging, never blaming. You would expect her to wholeheartedly support her protagonist and blame men for everything that has happened to her but instead she is objective, she presents Mrs. Dalloway's weaknesses and the choices she made willingly while at the same time presenting most beautifully and painfully Septimus's shell shock symptoms (in a time that many still considered men with these symptoms simply cowards). When I read the first sentence I just wanted to touch a bit of another famous writer but by the time I was reading the last sentence I was certain that I want to return in the future and follow Woolf's rivers of words in her other works. ( )
  antoni4040 | May 14, 2024 |
I really don't think I understood it and I am not sure I care enough to try again. There were moments I was riveted but overall the cerebral moments just lost me. ( )
  Blanket_Dragon | Jan 23, 2024 |
I think I’ll get more out of it with a re-read rather than the first go. ( )
  the.lesbian.library | Jan 15, 2024 |
"Mrs. Dalloway" é um romance escrito por Virginia Woolf e publicado em 1925. A história se passa em Londres, em um único dia de junho, e acompanha a personagem Clarissa Dalloway, uma mulher de classe alta que se prepara para uma festa que dará à noite. A narrativa alterna entre os pensamentos e experiências de Clarissa e os de outros personagens ligados a ela.

Enquanto Clarissa passa o dia se preparando para a festa, ela reflete sobre seu passado, suas escolhas e seus relacionamentos. O romance se aprofunda em suas memórias, capturando o fluxo de consciência dos personagens e revelando o funcionamento interno de suas mentes. Os pensamentos de Clarissa são justapostos aos de Septimus Warren Smith, um veterano da Primeira Guerra Mundial em estado de choque, que está lutando contra sua própria saúde mental.

O romance explora temas como tempo, memória, classe social e o impacto da guerra sobre os indivíduos. Por meio do estilo narrativo inovador de Woolf, os leitores têm uma visão da vida interior e das emoções dos personagens. O foco central em um único dia permite uma exploração profunda dos pensamentos e sentimentos dos personagens, destacando as intrincadas conexões entre os indivíduos em uma sociedade que passa por mudanças sociais e culturais significativas.

"Mrs. Dalloway" é celebrado por suas técnicas narrativas modernistas, incluindo o uso de fluxo de consciência, monólogo interior e uma estrutura não linear. O romance é considerado uma obra de referência na exploração literária da psique humana e das complexidades das relações sociais. O estilo de prosa de Woolf e sua capacidade de captar as nuances da vida cotidiana contribuem para a importância duradoura de "Mrs. Dalloway" no cânone da literatura modernista.

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notable Lists

Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.

For Lucy had her work cut out for her. The doors would be taken off their hinges; Rumpelmayer's men were coming. And then, thought Clarissa Dalloway, what a morning—fresh as if issued to children on a beach.
"Mrs. Dalloway," "Mrs. Dalloway's Party," "The Mrs. Dalloway Reader," and "Mrs. Dalloway" in combination with other titles (e.g., "The Waves" or "To the Lighthouse") are each distinct works or combinations of works. Please preserve these distinctions, and don't combine any of the other works with this one. Thank you.

Fiction. Literature. HTML:

s Clarissa Dalloway walks through London on a fine June morning, a sky-writing plane captures her attention. Crowds stare upwards to decipher the message while the plane turns and loops, leaving off one letter, picking up another. Like the airplane's swooping path, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway follows Clarissa and those whose lives brush hers--from Peter Walsh, whom she spurned years ago, to her daughter Elizabeth, the girl's angry teacher, Doris Kilman, and war-shocked Septimus Warren Smith, who is sinking into madness.

As Mrs. Dalloway prepares for the party she is giving that evening, a series of events intrudes on her composure. Her husband is invited, without her, to lunch with Lady Bruton (who, Clarissa notes anxiously, gives the most amusing luncheons). Meanwhile, Peter Walsh appears, recently from India, to criticize and confide in her. His sudden arrival evokes memories of a distant past, the choices she made then, and her wistful friendship with Sally Seton.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,120,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible