My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

My Name Is Asher Lev (original 1972; edition 2003)

by Chaim Potok (Author)

Series: Asher Lev (1)

Asher Lev is the artist who painted the sensational 'Brooklyn Crucifixion.' Into it her poured all the anguish and torment a Jew can feel when torn between the faith of his fathers and the calling of his art. Here Asher Lev plunges back into his childhood and recounts the story of love and conflict which dragged him to this crossroads.… (more)
Member:tagallant
Title:My Name Is Asher Lev
Authors:Chaim Potok (Author)
Info:Anchor (2003), Edition: Reprint, 369 pages

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok (1972)

Peace Shall Destroy Many by Rudy Wiebe (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Young men in conflict with their culture
    What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies (cf66)
    cf66: Entrambi romanzi sulla formazione artistica e spirituale d'un pittore.

English (68)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (73)
Asher Lev, artist and painter of the controversial "Brooklyn Crucifixion" looks back on his life growing up as a Hasidic Jew. His father, an important man in their community who travels for the Rebbe, simply cannot understand why his son needed to draw, but even as a young child Asher had a gift. He discusses the experiences leading up to becoming the artist he is, and why an observant Jew would paint a crucifixion.

This is a quiet sort of story, almost a character study, in which I was surprised to find out how much I was invested in the family drama as Asher learns to carve his own path in life and art. I'm sure some references specific to Judaism teaching and thought went over my head, but at its heart it's a universal coming of age story in which a son has to decide whether to be true to himself or fall into line with what his father wants for him. I kept flipping back to the first few paragraphs, which essentially lay out the gist of the story, before Asher explains his family history, his experiences growing up, and ultimately what led to the notorious painting. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 1, 2020 |
I don't really have words for this book yet. It's probably the most important thing I have ever read, being a Jew and an Artist, and a little lost. I don't know if it will affect anyone else like it affected me, this second reading. ( )
  JaysenElsky | Sep 17, 2020 |
I read My Name is Asher Lev when I was just beginning community college. What a wonderful book. The book describes the tension between the Jewish and Christian communities and how a young artist deals with it. ( )
  EddieB7 | Jul 18, 2020 |
A beautifully written story about the growth and development of an artist and its effect upon his relationships with family and community. I loved it and all of its gripping tension as father and son, husband and wife, mother and son struggle to deal with an extraordinary artistic talent and its impact on their Hasidic faith traditions. ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
This was a very well written book with just enough information. The passions of the characters were very extreme, but they were portrayed in a way so that I could empathize with them. The subjects of the paintings fit in beautifully with the Asher's dilemmas. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 9, 2020 |

Chaim Potokprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nijgh, LennaertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth." -Picasso
My name is Asher Lev, the Asher Lev, about whom you have read in newspapers and magazines, about whom you talk so much at your dinner affairs and cocktail parties, the notorious and legendary Lev of the Brooklyn Crucifixion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140036423, 0141190566

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,841,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible