Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga)…

Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga) (edition 2005)

by Peter F. Hamilton (Author)

3,253682,687 (4)1 / 150
The year is 2380. The Intersolar Commonwealth, a sphere of stars some four hundred light-years in diameter, contains more than six hundred worlds, interconnected by a web of transport "tunnels" known as wormholes. At the farthest edge of the Commonwealth, astronomer Dudley Bose observes the impossible: Over one thousand light-years away, a star ... vanishes. It does not go supernova. It does not collapse into a black hole. It simply disappears. Since the location is too distant to reach by wormhole, a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance, is dispatched to learn what has occurred and whether it represents a threat. In command is Wilson Kime, a five-time rejuvenated ex-NASA pilot whose glory days are centuries behind him. Opposed to the mission are the Guardians of Selfhood, a cult that believes the human race is being manipulated by an alien entity they call the Starflyer. Bradley Johansson, leader of the Guardians, warns of sabotage, fearing the Starflyer means to use the starship--s mission for its own ends. Pursued by a Commonwealth special agent convinced the Guardians are crazy but dangerous, Johansson flees. But the danger is not averted. Aboard the Second Chance, Kime wonders if his crew has been infiltrated. Soon enough, he will have other worries. A thousand light-years away, something truly incredible is waiting: a deadly discovery whose unleashing will threaten to destroy the Commonwealth ... and humanity itself. Could it be that Johansson was right?… (more)
Member:Cfraser
Title:Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga)
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2005), 992 pages

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: If you like reading about space travel and alien cultures, then this is the book for you.
    The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton (jannis)

English (67)  Catalan (1)  All languages (68)
This is my first Peter Hamilton book, and I actually read it as an audio book. I enjoyed the book; it was fast-paced and well written. I think I may read it in print at some point, because there are a lot of points of view that change rapidly; I may have missed some details because I missed a change while listening.

The book starts out with the discovery of an odd occurence in a star system 750 light years away from the Commonwealth: two neighboring stars simultaneously disappear. A starship is sent out to investigate the incident, and to determine if the aliens responsible might pose a threat to the Commonwealth. And so the space opera begins...

The book is filled with aliens, elves, intergalactic politics, conspiracy theories...all in all a great space romp. And the ending is, of course, a cliff hanger; the story continues in Judas Contained>.
  ceilmary | Nov 19, 2019 |
Now that The Evolutionary Void (24hrs/704 pages) is out I'm going back and rereading the books leading up to it. Pandora's Star (36.5hrs/1152 pages), Judas Unchained (39hrs/1024 pages), The Dreaming Void (22hrs/796 pages) and The Temporal Void (25hrs/752 pages). 146 hours/4428 pages of awesome story. ( )
  paulwcampbell | Oct 10, 2019 |
Dropped. At ~40%. Not good enough ( )
  NenadN | Sep 6, 2019 |
If you like a big number of protagonists, many storylines, and lots and lots of world building, this book is for you. If you don't, well, don't pick it up. Great North Road was the first book by Hamilton that I've read. At almost 1000 pages the first 300 were such a drag that I actually considered putting it down and never picking it up again. But then it picked up, and I did have a hard time putting it down for such unimportant things like eat, sleep, work, you know, life. So with Pandora's Star I knew what I was getting myself into though it held my interest from page one. Another 1000 pages book that brought many characters, plots, sub-plots, and made it even harder to put down once everything started coming together. I do understand why some people don't like it. Tastes are different. To me, Peter F. Hamilton is a space opera master, and I bow before him. ( )
1 vote Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
This is the longest novel I've read to date, but I can't say it felt long. Except for a few small portions that were a bit of a slog, it moved along at a good pace and wasn't boring. Readers may want to take notes, though; there were a few times when a character was introduced and then didn't appear again for 500 pages and I had forgotten who they were. There is a lot going on in this book. It was hard to see how some of the subplots were in any way connected to the main story, but connect they eventually did. It was kind of amazing how it all came together, actually. This book is only the first half of the saga and it literally ends on a cliffhanger. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Mars completely dominated space outside the Ulysses, the bloated dirty-ginger crescent of a planet that never quite made it as a world.(Prologue)
The star vanished from the center of the telescope's image in less time than a single human heartbeat.
German translation of the first half of "Pandora's Star"

Wormholes expand life

To other planets until

Enemy wakens.

(legallypuzzled)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,325,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible