Paradise Lost by John Milton

Paradise Lost (original 1667; edition 1996)

by John Milton (Author)

11,62992442 (3.99)5 / 361
Vol. 1: "This authoritative text of the first edition of John Milton's Paradise lost transcribes the original 10-book poem, records its textual problems and numerous differences from the second edition, and discusses in critical commentary the importance of these issues"--Provided by publisher.Vol. 2: "Essays by ten Miltonists establish the significant differences in text, context, and effect of the first edition of Paradise lost (1667) from the now standard second edition (1674), examining in particular the original text's relationship to the literary and theological world it entered in 1667 and thus offering interesting correctives to our understanding of Milton's thought"--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:cajdavidson
Title:Paradise Lost
Authors:John Milton (Author)
Info:Penguin Popular Classic (1996), 320 pages
Tags:to-read, owned

Work Information

Paradise Lost by John Milton (1667)

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (Voracious_Reader)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (Jannes)
    Jannes: Looking for a children's series ispired by Milton, you say? Well then, look no further!
    Cain by Lord Byron (FFortuna)

English (77)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (4)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (92)
It tells the biblical story of the fall from grace of Adam and Eve (and, by extension, all humanity) in language that is a supreme achievement of rhythm and sound. The 12-book structure, the technique of beginning in medias res (in the middle of the story), the invocation of the muse, and the use of the epic question are all classically inspired. The subject matter, however, is distinctly Christian.

The main characters in the poem are God, Lucifer (Satan), Adam, and Eve. Much has been written about Milton’s powerful and sympathetic characterization of Satan. The Romantic poets William Blake and Percy Bysshe Shelley saw Satan as the real hero of the poem and applauded his rebellion against the tyranny of Heaven. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Oct 24, 2021 |
Paradise Lost is a classic of English literature but is an exhausting read. Reading Milton's poetry feels like reading from a fire hose - you keep praying for him to take a breath.

The particular edition I read was terrible. There are several typos in the introductory material. It was downloaded from Amazon but was in many ways fishy. The cover describes it as the Norton critical edition and says that it was annotated. The e-book edition had no annotations. The book also had no ISBN number associated with it either. No author was even credited with the introductory material either. All there is is a note saying "This book is brought to you by La" whatever that means. The cover picture could not be found anywhere else.

Avoid this edition. ( )
  M_Clark | Sep 20, 2021 |
Satan falls and tempts humankind as well. Adam eats so as not lose Eve
  ritaer | Aug 19, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
This is clearly something I'm going to have to return to in order to better appreciate, I think. Reading it on its own without much knowledge about what was going on (I mean I've read The Bible, but the historical context stuff is not my specialty or really even my like knowledge base) means I got like basically the barebones of what was happening and not much beyond that. Which I recognize is my fault, not the text's, but definitely did impact how I was reading it.

(Also my complaint about this edition: inconsistent bolding of the 5 line mark intervals meant sometimes I had no idea if there was an explanatory note or not and it was confusing and slowed me down!) ( )
  aijmiller | Dec 11, 2020 |

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Poema che si propone la «giustificazione all'uomo delle azioni del Signore», Paradiso perduto usa la forma drammatica per dimostrare che Adamo ed Eva furono puniti perché peccarono, scegliendo deliberatamente il Male. Uniti nella colpa e nell'implacabile sentenza divina, furono cacciati dall'Eden sulla terra: un luogo ignoto nel quale sono destinati a vivere nell'infelicità. Pur nella drammaticità del tema, le pagine del Paradiso perduto vivono di delicatissime sfumature e di un senso idillico e musicale che ne fanno ancora oggi un'opera di straordinario fascino.
(piopas)
Important epic
answering the big question:
"Do angels have sex?"
(LeBoeuf)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,980,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible